Not connecting to nearest/fastest Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-17 18:16:57
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Ok so i got the latest firmware installed yesterday, thnks for that. Now the options are the same between the Deco P7 and the M5 i got.

Also i can now see to wich of the Deco's my devices are connected, great.

But, before i noticed that the new firmware was available my daughter was upset and complaining about loss off internet/wifi on the PS4 she was playing. When i tested the network speed i saw massive drop of speed and it was also very unstable. Also the tests i did with my phone and Speedtest showed very unstable and an dropping speed. (i got 250MB down and 25 up connection) And it got dow to 10mbit.

Luckily at the same time last night the update for de P7 arrived and installed it. Afterwards connection was a bit sluggish but af resetting and testing al the conected lines and wires it seem like its stable now and also is gettig higher speeds.

But.....,the strange thing is now that i can see to wich Deco the devices are connected. The PS4 does not connect to the nearest Deco but to the Deco one floor below. And this is through ethernet and not wifi. All the devices from the top floor are connecting to the deco one floor below... strange.

I disconnected the deco 1 floor below and kinda forced the PS4 to connect to the nearest Deco. This worked. But now the next day al the devices are again connecting to the Deco 1 floor below. Speeds are kinda ok but ik dont think it is the right way to connect right?

Situation is:

Bottom floor

Internet -> Deco P7 as main deco -> Switch -> ethernet Nas and to Deco P7 first floor
Deco M5 in Wifi mode for main living room

First Floor

Ethernet from switch bottom floor to Deco P7 on first floor -> Deco P7 on second floor

Second floor

Ethernet from switch first floor to Deco P7 on second floor -> switch and connects to PS4 and other

So why dont the devices on the second floor connect to the Deco they are directly connected to on the second floor, but are all connecting to the one on the first floor???

Options
5 Reply
Re:Not connecting to nearest/fastest Deco
2019-09-18 01:42:23

@Rattaplan 

Does the current network diagram like below:

PS4/other clients ---cable--switch--Deco P7    ( Second floor)

\

cable

\

Deco P7   NAS (first floor)

\              /

cable

\        /

internet--cable--main Deco P7--cable--Switch            (bottom floor)   

)))wifi(((    Deco M5 (living room)             

With PS4 connected to the switch by wired cable, please show us a picture of the linked Deco page of PS4. 

Try to connect the PS4 to the Deco P7 in second floor directly, bypass the switch and verify whether it still connects to the Deco in first floor.                  

Besides, you can relocate the Deco P7 on the first floor so that the signal strength got by the devices on the top floor will be weaker, which can trigger the threshold and change the Deco to connect.

Good day,       

Options
2019-09-18 09:12:47 - last edited 2019-09-18 12:19:21

Hoi Kevin indeed its like your diagram shows. As i can see i use a mix of a daisy chain network and a star network. Is that a problem? Main deco ---> switch ----> deco first floor ----> And from Deco first floor ethernet cable to Deco second floor. And from the Deco on the second floor i have a switch connected that connects the ps4 and other. I could remove the switch after the main deco and hardwire it directly to the deco first floor to create a true daisy chain network, shall i try that? I have connected the ps4 directly to Deco on the second floor but it stil connects to the Deco one floor below. Its difficult for me to relocate the current Deco on the first floor do to the available ethernet wires

Options
2019-09-19 07:28:04

ok i dont get it anymore.

I removed all the switches and connected it as a daisy chain. 

Bottom floor works well Deco p7 as main deco and a M5 in the livingroom (connected through Wifi) Speeds are stable high and and stable. Only thing that is strange is that sometimes when i am furtest away from the main P7 deco and closest by the M5 it still connects my phone to the P7. Also i have a Thermostat that is almost on top of the M5 , but it still connects to the P7 that is far away. (maybe because the Thermostat can only use 2,4ghz???)

I siwtched the Deco P7 on the first floor with the one on the second floor. That seemed to solve (most of) the issue with not connecting to the nearest Deco. But still Deco on the first floor seems to be the one that is fastest in speed.

The Deo P7 on the second floor has massive dropouts in speed. When i do a speed check on the PS4 for instance, every time i check i get a very different result. one time its 190Mbps down and a few seconds later is drops to 80Mbps. Then the next test drops to 60Mbps. After it can go up to 110Mbps. 

It doesnt matter if i have the second floor Deco connected by Ethernet to the one on the first floor or that its connected by Wifi.

With ethernet it sometimes seems as it is internally in the Deco capped to 100Mbs or something becaus in the speedtest with a laptop wired to the Deco it cant go above the 100Mbps. 

On wifi I also tried with a laptop and speedtest.net. It goes up to 190Mbps but then drops back to 70Mbps.

Next step i think is to remove al Decos and set up everything from scratch.

i am thinking to maybe switch the Deco P7 on the second floor with the M5 in the living room. Dont know why but maybe it wil help.

Options
2019-09-30 14:37:15 - last edited 2019-09-30 14:38:33

@Kevin_Z

So i did some testing and switching of the Deco's in my house.

Situation now is:(daisy chain)

Bottom floor: Internet -> main Deco P7-> 1st floor Deco P7 wired and to a Deco P7 wireless in the livingroom on de bottom floor

First floor Deco P7 -> Deco M5 on the second floor wireless connection.

Here comes the strange part...If i connect the Deco P7 on the first floor to the M5 on the second floor via ethernet cable, connection is very unstable (says 1gbs tested on laptop but almost never exceeds 100mbps) Also if ik connect through wifi connection is also poor..(sometimes 140mbps and a bit later down tot 30mbps) 

Dont ask why but i connected a faulty ethernet cable and with that connected my speeds through wifi exceed even 200mbps. It sometimes drops back to 140 or something but much better than before.

So i dont get it.

connection tested on the Deco on the first floor are awesome (max 250mbps that is availlable) but connected from that Deco to the one on the second floor is faulty.

It should be ok right. If i have max speed on the first floor Deco and ik connect that one to the second floor deco bij ethernet cable. Ik should get the seem speed right??? 

Options
2019-10-02 10:26:07
"to wich Deco the devices are connected" :O how can you see this?
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 9556

Replies: 5

Related Articles