force device to always connect to a specific deco?

force device to always connect to a specific deco?

107 Reply
Re:force device to always connect to a specific deco?
2023-07-21 15:48:13

@David-TP 

I had Deco M5, just upgraded to X20- Amazon stated I'd still have Homecare but it's now charging instead once activation.

second question: why can't I use the connection preference option, with x20, that I previously had with M5?

Options
2023-09-12 14:19:24

For many months, my 3-node X60 mesh setup has worked fine until recent days, I started lagging badly in video calls.

I speed-tested and found that speeds went above 100Mbps but somehow the latency of video calls were terrible.

My setup:

Node 1 is the main node.
Nodes 1 and 2 are linked by Ethernet cable.

Nodes 1 and 3 are linked by Wireless.

Nodes 1 and 2 are located on the ground floor while Node 3 is upstairs.

Node 3 is shown as Fair wireless strength.

Problem:
I have 3 clients in a ground floor room which I believe is nearer to the main node than it is to the upstairs but they connecting to the upstairs one resulting in poor performance.

Solution:
I moved my node 3 by roughly 1.5M away from Node 1 and it now connects to node 2 with Deco App indicating Strong wireless signal.

My client devices on the ground floor have stopped connecting to node 3.

Conclusion:

Dear TP-Link, please offer the ability to choose how the nodes should connect to one another, and offer the ability for the wireless clients to prefer a specific node over the others.

Your incompetence in releasing such a necessary feature makes it difficult for me to recommend your product to others.

Options
2023-11-05 05:25:23

@Kevin_Z 

Any update i am struggling badly the way device connect to this. 

My camera is not connecting to nearest deco even after restart both device. Switching off further as well. I don't mind connect other but issue is. It's missing 2 meter away and connecting 10 meter one. 

And in the end says network week and keep disconnect. 

It's been 4 years u said this is progress is there any update. 

And my thing everywhere I used Lan access point which talking on phone one room other is it disconnected. 

It was not the case earlier without Lan. 

Please reply I am struggling from last 1 year with this issue. 

Options
2023-11-05 05:27:37

@Anshul_easy 

I have two types of deco 

Total 5 deco 3 m4, 2m9

Options
2024-01-19 01:42:41

@David-TP I have a new Deco W7200, aka X68, and it allows new Connection Preference and Disable Mesh features to be implemented and my devices still move to farther away Decos so that feature seems to be useless too sadly. I like the system but it is unpredictable as all get out as to where a device will land and moves randomly back and forth. Their algorithms are apparently poorly designed in my view. Just got 12/2023 update and after upgrade 10 minutes ago stuff moved again so not sure what to do.

Options
2024-01-19 09:40:57

@Bwiegand 

Hi, may I know the model number of the mobile devices that don't follow the connection preference?

I used to think once the "preferred Deco" is selected, the device has no other choice than this unit. Later after consulting with the engineers, they explained that when mobile devices get connected to Deco, the network gateway will first recommend the preferred Deco to the mobile devices. But it is not a refuse-then-disconnect suggestion. If mobile devices ignored the recommendation and thought the main Deco was the best choice, the final connected access point would still be the main Deco.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-02-09 01:14:08

@David-TP is there a way to turn off the 2.4 ghz band on the main/host router (Archer AX10000) and the 5 ghz band on the router being used as the hardwired access point (RE505X)?   My thought is that I can force it to use one or the other if it becomes needed.  I bought a RE505X for downstairs because video chatting was not working down there, but our phones and devices seem to use the upstairs/main router whenever they want to and now it feels like I bought the access point for no reason.  Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  

Options

Tags

Feature Request
connection preference
Related Articles