steam hogs bandwidth - QoS not working for streaming

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-22 03:53:39
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, I have streaming set to top priority in the deco app for the gf streaming tv in the living room on a fire tv stick, which is set to a priority device. When I am in my office downloading something large like a game from steam, her stream will cut out.

I have 300/300 fibre and my that connects to my deco m5s. Wired into the main deco is an apple time capsule and wired into that is my pc. The pc seems to be hoovering all the bandwidth. Isnt the point of QoS to make sure all devices have sufficient speed? I have tried a bunch of slider combos.

Thank you

Options
4 Reply
Re:steam hogs bandwidth - QoS not working for streaming
2019-09-23 01:38:39

@kiff 

What is the current network diagram? How do you connect these devices together? 

When the stream cuts out, can the TV still access internet? Can PC ping it with its IP address? 

Try to disable fast roaming;

To do a comparison analysis, it is suggested to clear the high priority rules first; 

After that, you can setup application priority as standard to give it a go.

Any updates, please let us know.

Best regards. 

Options
2019-09-23 02:00:00

@Kevin_Z 

The wired network diagram goes: fibre modem-> tp link deco m5-> apple time capsule-> PC

the fire stick is connected to the deco m5 through wifi

do you mean disable fast roming on the firestick or overall on the network?

Options
2019-09-24 01:56:57

@kiff 

First with the firestick connected to the Deco, you can disable mesh technology to verify whether it works.

If still the same, then please disable fast roaming.

Besides, how many Deco M5 do you have? From the network diagram, there is one Deco existed, but from your original description, there should be 2 or more. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-01 23:24:07

@Kevin_Z 

The mesh setting is disabled for the fire stick and so is fast roaming. I have 2 decos, one connected to the modem in the basement where the fire stick is and the second one is on a different floor. 

Thank you

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1721

Replies: 4