ok, What is truly the deal with Guest Network ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-22 13:13:49 - last edited 2019-09-22 13:14:59
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Rel 45372

Here is my rant then:

M4 in AP mode, enabled Guest mode surprise by me it is not Guest mode, you can still access everything from the main network thus THIS IS just a new SSID, do not baptize it as Guest TP-Link team. Ok I see many threads on that and it will be "fixed" in new firmware, so I wait.

Tried the default approach of setting it as a Router mode, as in my installation there is no problem doing that without changing hardware. So i do it:

• M4 is connected to the Switch and gets an ip of 10.0 subnet /24
  • M4 Gateway is the ip of the VDSL Modem in the same subnet
  • LAN IP of M4 is 192.168.1.1

Everything is working as it should be i think, I can ping and access machines on the main network in both LANs

I enabled Guest, connect to Guest Network and I can still access everything!!!!!!!!!!! Can I have an isolated Guest in any mode ?

ok so what is the deal with this ? is there any hope or I return to my old tp-link 6 years AP that had more options than this toaster ?

Looking forward for your replies tech team.

Regards,

Vassilis

Options
16 Reply
Re:ok, What is truly the deal with Guest Network ?
2019-09-23 02:32:14

@Vassilis 

Hello, the guest network and host network are isolated from each other when Deco works as the regular router. We did a test at our end and the devices connected to the guest network cannot ping the device which has connected to the home network. 

Back to your case, we can do further analysis.

1. Please tell us the current network diagram and how do you connect these devices.

2. Please show us a screenshot of the ping result which indicates you can access the host network with your device connected to the guest network. 

3. Please ensure that the firmware is up to date. 

Thanks in advance, and have a good day. 

Options
2019-09-23 04:18:40

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin_Z wrote

@Vassilis 

Hello, the guest network and host network are isolated from each other when Deco works as the regular router. We did a test at our end and the devices connected to the guest network cannot ping the device which has connected to the home network. 

1. Please tell us the current network diagram and how do you connect these devices.

2. Please show us a screenshot of the ping result which indicates you can access the host network with your device connected to the guest network. 

I apologize in advance if this is in bad manners or not allowed since I'm not OP. I'm actually trying to seperate the 5ghz and 2.4ghz on my Deco m5 setup.

We have some old phones with bugged firmware that samsung has not fixed in over three years. Basically, we get hit with an authentication error when our phones swap between 5ghz and 2.4ghz when swapping between bands with the same SSID. The only fix is to seperate the bands with different names.

Right now my deco is in Router mode and if I seperate the bands and I activate guest mode, then I cannot communicate with my chromecasts when I'm connected on the guest wifi. If I go from Router mode to Access Point mode will my "guest internet" have all of the access as the main connection? Can I communicate with my chromecast? I could just deactive the 5ghz but my grandpa will literally throw a fit if he is not getting the absolute max best of the best internet speed for his netflix. 

Options
2019-09-23 06:26:19

Kevin_Z wrote

@Vassilis 

@Kevin_Z  Thanks Kevin for the quick reply.

Ok i think that the whole issue is bad phrasing and symantics. I got an epiphany last night and i believe that by guest network and home network Tp-Link talks about devices connected only through the M4.

Explaining:

• Home network, one subnet /24,  in gigagib switch, one computer (Computer1) connected on the switch via LAN and two laptops from M4 to main network=>The laptops (Laptop1 , Laptop2) from the WiFi can access each other and Computer1 as designed.
  • Enable Guest Mode=> Connect Laptop3. If i figured this out correctly then Laptop3 cannot access Laptop1 and laptop2 but CAN access Computer1 which is via ethernet cable connected on the same subnet.

Now if this is the case then again it is wrong. You do not separate on the FAQ or anywhere that you are talking about isolation of the SSID on the M4 and ONLY ON THAT , everything else on a ethernet cable on the same subnet can be accessed with no issues.

Can you confim on this ?

Also if this is the case, will on the nect firmware be a true guest network totally isolated ? If no, any other tp-link AP that can do that or i have to return M4 ?

Many thanks in advance.

Options
2019-09-23 09:15:02

@Vassilis 

Are you you saying that Computer1 is connected to a switch on the *outside* of the master Deco?  In that case, it is on the Internet as far as the Deco is concerned.   It is an external resource and should be accessible from the Guest network as that is what the Guest network is for.  

If the devices connected to the switch are supposed to be private the switch should be on the inside of the Deco router.  The second Ethernet port on the Master Deco, and any spare ports on the slave Decos are part of the private network.  

I apologise  if I have misunderstood your topology.  

Options
2019-09-23 10:11:55 - last edited 2019-09-23 10:12:17

ajharvey wrote

@Vassilis 

Are you you saying that Computer1 is connected to a switch on the *outside* of the master Deco?  In that case, it is on the Internet as far as the Deco is concerned.   It is an external resource and should be accessible from the Guest network as that is what the Guest network is for.  

If the devices connected to the switch are supposed to be private the switch should be on the inside of the Deco router.  The second Ethernet port on the Master Deco, and any spare ports on the slave Decos are part of the private network.  

I apologise  if I have misunderstood your topology.  

@ajharvey 

Yes, i think you had it correct, here is the diagram in a very simple way.

So the only solution is to keep the "Router" Mode of Deco and connect the VDSL to the first LAN port of deco and from the second port of Deco to take a cable and connect it on the switch. In that way the LAN is on the "main network of deco" and when people on the "Guest" SSID will not have access to the "main" network even though is is a local lan cable/subnet. Did i understand this correctly ?

Options
2019-09-23 11:28:53

@Vassilis 

Yes, that’s right.  

Options
2019-09-23 11:32:31 - last edited 2019-09-23 11:42:31

@ajharvey ok , i will try it then and report back my findings 

ah, question @ajharvey and @Kevin_Z , will that scenario play also in "AP mode" when the new firmware will be released that isolates the guest network as in "router mode" ?? 

many thanks people

Options
2019-09-24 02:00:42

@Xion 

Hello, to build up the mesh wifi system, we are not able to separate the wifi name of two bands; while regarding to the samsung issue; with the phone connected to the TP-Link wifi, it is suggested to disable mesh, or even disable fast roaming and verify whether it works cause it won't roam between different networks. 

Besides, the host network is isolated from guest network when the Deco works in router mode only now, it will be added in access point mode in next firmware. 

May it help and have a good day. 

Options
2019-09-24 15:50:28

its me again laugh

If i go with the solution designed above and stay on the "router" mode so i connect the vdsl modem to the M4 in order to get the main network and guest network.

I have seen that on the M4 it has port forwarding. Which i have on my vdsl modem. I haven't seen the wizard on M4 but does it have UDP forward ?

cause i have an openvpn server that works on UDP now from my NAS.

Options
2019-09-25 08:10:26

@Vassilis 

The Deco M4 supports port forwarding in router mode, for more differences between router mode and AP mode, you can refer to https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2399/

The Deco does not support VPN now, while you can create a VPN server and the Deco M4 supports VPN passthrough by default.

May it help and have a good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 21066

Replies: 16