External antenna 4G+ Cat6 AC1200 Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-23 10:08:03
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello

I will need to buy a router with SIM card to get Wifi in a place that only receives ADSL at 8M/sec

Looks like the new 4G+ Cat6 AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router is what might give me the best speed to connect on the 4G network.

But so far I only get 10M/sec with an iphone XR. The router might be able to get higher speed?

My question is : will I get better result if I add to the router an external / amplified antenna ? I see a few "poynting" antennas on Amazon that seems to be compatible. Specifically "Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 Cross Polarised 4G Omni LTE Antenna"

Anyone coud gibe me good advice?

Thanks!

Chris

Options
3 Reply
Re:External antenna 4G+ Cat6 AC1200 Router
2019-09-24 07:22:08

@ChSy 

What is the model number of the AC1200? It starts with Archer. 

The antenna is used to convert radio frequency (RF) fields into alternating current or vice versa. It includes both receiving and transmission antennas. 

While it has no direct connection with speed, instead, it is still affected by the bandwidth of the sim card and the actual network environment. 

You can test the speed you can get from the sim card with putting it into your cellphone directly.

And you can change some wireless settings to enhance its performance, like wireless channel and channel width.

May it help and have a good day. 

Options
2019-09-24 08:14:45
Thanks Kevin for taking the time to look into my question. I was shown the Archer MR400 first, but it appears Archer MR600 might be the best model I can get to maximise the signal speed (with 4G+ instead of 4G "only") I did a test with iPhone XR and I get about 8Mbps on the ground floor (my apartment) and 10 to 12Mbps on the rooftop, 2 floors up... In both case, not really impressive for 4G in urban area of Hong Kong. Didn't buy the router yet, maybe it will receive more efficiently vs a phone with internal antenna. But anything less than 20Mbps might be tricky for Netflix or other streaming. In other words my concern is primarily the network strength and how to get the most network antennas in the my neighbourhood. Once I have enough speed on my receiver router, I will make sure to distribute without too much loss in the apartment with mesh routers. Have you actually heard about the Poynting antennas? Do you think this would help or better stay on original antennas ? Chris
Options
2019-09-26 08:06:36

@ChSy 

Hello, Chris, thanks for your reply.

I haven't heard the Poynting antennas you mentioned, while if you want to change the external antenna, we need change all of them. And the Archer MR600 has 2 × Detachable 4G LTE Antennas, so it is possible to replace them.

From your description, the speed you can get is more related to the environment or the coverage area of the 4G base station.

Per you said, the higher you stand, the faster speed you can get, that means the signal has been cut a lot by the interferences. Including distance, obstacles. 

In other word, you can change the external LTE antenna, while we cannot guarantee that the speed will reach more than 20Mbps. 

May it help and have a good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8161

Replies: 3

Related Articles