help with TL-WR941HP no advance setting and extender connection drop

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-23 12:53:51
Model: TL-WR941HP  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.1 Build 20171225 Rel. 60160

hi everyone ! first of all sorry for my bad English. anyway i just bought TL-WR941HP a few hours ago.

just so no confusion I have a multiple router here at home

my setting goes like:

ISP Modem -------> brand x router 1 set as Access Point (wired) --------->brand x router 2 set as range extender (wireless) ----------> router 3 TL-WR941HP range extender (wireless also the one i just bought)

router 1 & 2 is same brand and model. not sure if its allowed to mention other brand here so i rather not risk it.

so I set my TL-WR941HP as a range extender and i was able to finish the setup. saved and rebooted. then unplugged and moved the TL-WR941HP to another location. plugged it in (signal from host is quite good on that location) and after booting i was able to connect with my android phone. but the problem is connection kinda getting interupted. I mean im still connected to TL-WR941HP but for some reason its access to the internet is getting interupted. i was sending a message on facebook with fb messenger and for some reason message stopped sending (no check on circle) this happened several times. so i switched back to the host router and there was no problem. I had to leave for awhile so when I got back I tried to connect again to the TL-WR941HP but its saying "connection time out" this time. now as I am composing this it is connected to my PC (wired) with out any problem but as soon as I remove the cable. it starts getting time out or lossing internet connection.

here is the screenshot of my chat awhile ago.

one thing I noticed is that there is no advance tab or advance operation mode next to quick setup and setting where i can manually configure my router. is this a hidden feature? ive been checking the youtube video on this site about the i also checked the online manual but it was no help. it just said go/click on advance. it doesn't say how to access it.

any idea how I can go to advance operation ? when I click the advance setting on the left side of the menu it just shows this

Options
5 Reply
Re:help with TL-WR941HP no advance setting and extender connection drop
2019-09-24 02:59:24

@zyclonenuz 

Per you know, the TL-WR941HP supports multiple operation modes, like range extender and regular wireless router mode.

The advanced page is not available in Range extender mode, including some advanced feature, like parental control. You can click here to get the differences. 

For the network connection issue, we can do further analysis.

When it works as the range extender:

1. Please check the light status of it when the connection drops out.

2. With your computer connected to the TP-Link network, please click here to check its IP address and gateway; please show us a a picture of it also.

3. In the meantime, please ping the gateway of the ISP modem.

4. Please connect your computer to the TL-WR941HP by wired cable and test whether it works normally.

When it works as a wireless router:

1. Please show us the network diagram and check the led status of it when internet stops working.

2. Please login to the web UI and get a screenshot of the advanced-status page.

3. Connect your computer to the router 2 directly and verify whether you can get internet.

4. Try to forget the network and reconnect to the TP-Link wifi.

Any updates, please let us know.

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-24 05:10:05

Kevin_Z wrote

When it works as the range extender:

1. Please check the light status of it when the connection drops out.

2. With your computer connected to the TP-Link network, please click here to check its IP address and gateway; please show us a a picture of it also.

3. In the meantime, please ping the gateway of the ISP modem.

4. Please connect your computer to the TL-WR941HP by wired cable and test whether it works normally.

Good day. 

thanks for the reply Kevin_Z

I used it as a range extender now directly to my ISP modem.

1.it was working great for awhile then suddelny connection drops and RE led blinking. i had to reset the tplink modem. connection drops about after an hour or so. happend twice already. then when I try to connect to it again on my android i can see the ssid name but when i click it it says network (name here) unavaliable or not found.

4. im connected to it now here on pc via wired and its working fine for now.

Options
2019-09-25 21:09:00

@Kevin_Z 

i tried it again yesterday. I connected the TPlink router to my main router as range extender (wireless) around 8am and it was working fine the entire time until i went to bed around 10pm. when I woke up i tried connecting to it on my android phone again and now its saying "Establishing a connection to "router name" timed out please. try again later"

LED light  RE, Wifi, and PWR lights are all on. no blinking lights.

sad

Options
2019-09-26 08:17:47

@zyclonenuz 

Hello, thanks for your reply.

Please verify whether there is any settings have been done on the main router, like wireless schedule, parental control and so on.

When the 941HP stops working in the morning, please connect your computer to it by wired cable and test whether the wired connection works.  And please connect to the main router wifi at the same time and test whether it works.

Meanwhile, have you ever tried to forget the network or disable/re-enable on smart phone to reconnect them?

What about other wireless devices? Do they have the same issue? 

Besides, when and where did you buy this router? 

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-26 10:17:47

@Kevin_Z 

hi Kevin. Im positive i have not touched any other setting like wireless schedule, parental control or other stuff like dhcp lease time and if I did it would have been restored to default because i did a reset. (the small reset button)

It is hard to connect the my computer to the router when it stopped working in the morning. because it is a desktop PC on the 2nd floor and the router is on the 1st floor I also dont have a cable that long. also the problem got worse now it was disconnecting every 1-3hours. BUT awhile ago I did contact the local destributor they told me to update firmware and see if the there will still be a problem after we updated the firmware he helped me a little with the setting just to be sure i didn't make any mistake or accidentally turned on something i should be turining on (or off) then we hang up the phone. 30mins later the same problem again. so i reset the router again and after 15minutes (more or

less) same problem again.

yes i tried to disable and re enable wireless on my smart phone and tried to forget the network.

the weird thing is Everytime I restart the tp link router it always ask me again for password when every i try to reconnect from it.

i tried other device like laptop, smart tv and another android phone (my sister's phone) all same issue.

I bought this on September 23, 2019 in Philippines. Store name is Dynaquest Philippines.

Anyway I already returned the item because I was able to talk to Philteq Enterprises Incorporate costumer support and they said to return it to where i bought it so they can check it out. they said the worse case scenario is compatibility issue. sad

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3274

Replies: 5

Related Articles