Extending my WiFi range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Extending my WiFi range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Extending my WiFi range
Extending my WiFi range
2019-09-24 13:47:57 - last edited 2019-09-29 01:11:02

So I'm aware this is not a unique question or situation, but when it comes to networking I have no idea what I'm doing and don't exactly understand the other posts. Once I have hardware in my hand I'm sure I can figure out what I need to do, but I need help figuring out which hardware I need.

I live in a rather long apartment, and we share WiFi with the gentleman across the hall to save money. Between the three of us the speed never suffers and the usage is unlimited, so no point in installing an addition $70/month connection. The only problem is, my room is at the farthest point from the router, so my connection is spotty.

What I'd like to do is figure out how to extend/boost that signal. Do I buy a better router and instal it in his place? Can it be installed in my place, wirelessly connect to his, then extend the signal further into my place? Do these $50 WiFi range extenders I see online that plug into wall sockets actually work decently? reverse phone lookup nba reddit pcpartpicker

Options
1 Reply
Re:Extending my WiFi range
2019-09-25 01:07:03 - last edited 2019-09-25 01:08:07

@MasterBister 

You can buy a wifi range extender to extend the wifi range, while cause the two devices will connect to each other by wireless, the actual performance of the extender will be affected by the interference or obstacles. 

If the whole apartment is running under the same power circuit, powerline adapters with wifi function would be a good choice. 

With one adapter plugged into the LAN port of the router, you can relocate the extender one on your room to boost signal. 

Note: The powerline adapters is sold as a kit, the TL-WPAxx means that this device has a powerline extender which supports wifi function.

May it help and have a good day. 

Options