Deco M5 latency to modem/router spikes.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-24 20:36:05 - last edited 2020-02-20 08:15:52
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

I am experiencing issues with a new Deco setup at home. 

I have 3 Deco M5s which have drastically improved the connectivity in my home. 

The only issue that I cannot seem to fix (using existing TP-Link support threads) is that the latency coming off of the Decos when communicating to the main router is not consistent and frequently (every 10s or so) will drop connection entirely for a brief moment. It will be fine at 20-25ms and then I can watch the pings and see it steadily climb to 5000ms before going offline and then starting back at 20ms.

It's not noticeable usually when doing general things like surfing or watching a buffered video, but voice calls and video games are nearly un-usable.

Things I have attempted which either don't fix the issue, or stop the Deco from working at all:

- disable DHCP on the ISP's provided modem/router

- switch the deco between router and AP mode. 

- reset the deco network and start from scratch

I am not able to bridge the modem/router from the ISP because it disables other services which are controlled by the device (IE: Moca, Tivo)

I have also been testing pings directly wired to and on the wireless provided by the ISP device and everything is fine there.

I attempted to troubleshoot with the ISP but they aren't willing provide assistance when using a third party device. 

I can provide any futher information required.

Thank you,

Dave

Options
86 Reply
Re:Deco M5 latency to modem/router spikes.
2019-09-25 01:52:51 - last edited 2020-02-20 08:15:52

@Daveomania 

Hello, we will do some troubleshooting and try to fix it. 

1. What is the network diagram? How do you connect these devices together?

2. What is the operation mode of the Deco? 

3. Could you please show us a short video of the ping issue you mentioned? 

4. When the devices get offline, please check the led status of Deco M5; and click here to check the IP address and gateway obtained by your computer with it connected to the Deco; 

5. Try to disable fast roaming; if it works in router mode, please setup application priority as standard and remove all the high priority rules. 

Thanks in advance, and have a good day. 

Options
2019-09-26 02:41:49 - last edited 2020-02-20 08:15:52

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

1. What is the network diagram? How do you connect these devices together?

The ARRIS modem is connected through ethernet port 4 (it's the bridge port according to their docs) to the main deco. The other two m5's are connected via the app wizard to one another.

2. What is the operation mode of the Deco?

Currently the deco is in Router mode, but I have tried for an extended period (months) in AP mode with the same issue.

As you can see in the image - while pinging google, there are timeouts, and high latency (312ms) . I have run this ping test for hours without using the decos (on the ARRIS WiFi) with no timeouts or spikes.

5. This is difficult to do since the deco goes offline so briefly. The decos never appear to change the LED from solid green.

6. The deco network previously had fast roaming enabled (prior to this reply) but I have since disabled it. The ping screenshot is with Fast Roaming disabled.

Thank you for your help.

Options
2019-10-14 16:40:06 - last edited 2020-02-20 08:15:52

@Daveomania I have very similar issues with this f/w version, only workaround I found was to use deco in ap mode, but this looses all the functions I bought the deco for. Hoping for a fw update 🤞 

Options
2019-10-15 06:47:21 - last edited 2020-02-20 08:15:52

@Daveomania 

Thanks for  your reply.

When the high ping issue occurs, can you get internet from the Deco by wired cable? Please click here to get the IP and gateway. 

And when WLAN device lost connection, is it still connected to the Deco's wifi but no internet access or it is disconnected totally? 

Besides, try to change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-10-15 06:48:44 - last edited 2020-02-20 08:15:52

@Ali9521 

Thanks for your reply.

You can use the Deco M5 as access point mode as a workaround for now to get stable connection.

We still work on this issue and will try our best to fix it.

You can wait for the updates. 

Best regards. 

Options
2019-10-16 17:13:33 - last edited 2020-02-20 08:15:52

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin, 

I have tried the advice to switch to AP Mode, but I am still seeing consistent high latency - see screenshot:

Here is my IP information when I am experiencing latency spikes:

When requests timeout, or high latency occurs, the WIFI connection remains connected, it doesn't disconnect from the deco at all. Just experiencing the high latency. 

Thank you for the support.

Options
2019-10-16 20:32:48 - last edited 2020-02-20 08:15:52

@Daveomania 

I have similar problem with Deco E4. My forum thread is https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/173196

Options
2019-10-17 09:37:55 - last edited 2020-02-20 08:15:52

@Daveomania 

Thanks for your explanation, with the Deco works in AP mode, how do you connect the other 2 slave Deco to the main Deco? By wired cable or wireless? 

With the high latency/packet loss happened, please verify which Deco you have your computer connected, and find the Deco's IP address.

Then please ping the IP of the connected Deco and show us the screenshot; 

Meanwhile, please use the same computer to ping the IP of the main Deco which connects to the Arris modem by wired cable directly. Please show us the picture of the test result also. 

Besides, try to move the Deco units closer to each other or exchange their locations to give it a go.

Good day. 

Options
2019-11-06 01:02:17 - last edited 2020-02-20 08:15:52

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin, 

I have been testing this again with only 1 deco M5 connected to my Arris Modem. The other decos are offline.

I still receive consistent latency spikes when connected to the deco in AP mode or in Router mode. 

As you can see in the screenshot, my connection from my wireless PC to the deco has no issues:

The issue must be when the deco is speaking to the Arris modem. 

I have also tried running the deco M5 in router mode, with DHCP turned off on the Arris modem, and also bridged mode turned on on the Arris modem. But I still see the same consistent latency spikes. 

This issue is becoming very frustrating as I cannot use the M5s in this state.

Is there perhaps a more stable previous firmware I can downgrade to? 

Thank you.

Options
2019-11-08 18:01:36 - last edited 2020-02-20 08:15:52

@Kevin_Z 

I have the same problem with poor latency and dropout when doing test with "ping -t".

I did not notice it until i startet playing online again a week ago. It is almost impossible to play in this situation.

I have 4 deco in my network. One is powered off to see if the drop was due to wifi interfernce. This did not help.

My setup:

4x Deco M5, version 1.3.1 Build 20190617 Rel. 47476

I live in a house with 4 floors, with one deco in each floor.

The primary is connected by cable to the ISP provided fiber-modem.

I have tried playing around with QoS with no luck. Online gaming is set as the only activity on highest priority.

In addition my Laptop is set as the only unit with top priority. Even this did not help.

I can provide screenshots and logs as you require to supplement the feedback from Daveomania

I hope we can get this fixed becaus right now I'm not satisfied.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 36674

Replies: 86

Related Articles