Loosing internet (packets) MacOS HighSierra and works properly under Windows 7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-25 20:34:40 - last edited 2019-09-28 18:10:56
Model: TL-WN725N  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Dear forum members,

I bught recently WiFi Adapter TL-WN725N for Mac. I have MacOS 10.13 High Sierra with recent updates. This adapter has been recommended by my friend and I thought it will be working fine for me as well as for him.

What is the problem?

I was identified model, version number (3.0), drivers for MacOS including MacOS 10.13 - driver itself has been installed properly, WiFi adapter has been found, my home network too. I have a strong signal, as router belongs for me, and the furthest distance from hub is 2-3 meters.

I noticed websites not openning properly and I started investigating further. I used "ping my-router-IP-address" and I noticed more than half of packets lost. I observed this for quite long time and despite the almost full signal / reception, I couldn't use internet and in some happy moments - internet was really slow, and obviously, when ping stops sending / receiving packets, I couldn't connect to internet.

I changed USB port, I made myself sure if internet (LAN) working properly - I had no issues. Please, don't get me wrong - I'm not being disconnected from WiFi network - just using internet is almost impossible.

I thought this adapter could be broken... but decided to install on PC (Windows 7). Drivers (version 3) dowloaded from same official website, istalled and now, almost one hour I'm PING-ing my hub IP address and not loosing any single packet and time usualy not increasing more than 10ms, generally I have 4-5ms.

Same adapter, same source of drivers - just different OS.

Could anyone help me please?

As I can't blame adapter itself - as working perfectly with Windows, it must me some issue with MacOS. But as information says, it's compatiblem with MacOS up to 10.13 - and I have 10.13 (HighSierra).

Options
8 Reply
Re:Loosing internet (packets) MacOS HighSierra and works properly under Windows 7
2019-09-26 09:43:12 - last edited 2019-09-26 09:45:29

@Nasedo 

Thanks for your clarification, we will do some troubleshooting to locate the issue and try to fix it. 

1. Try to delete the driver and reinstall it. Below is the download link of the driver. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-wn725n/#Driver 

2. When the Mac lost packets, please show us a screenshot of the ping results.

3. Try to locate it 3-5 meters away from the main router to give it a go.

4. Besides, you can try to customize the wireless settings and verify its stability.

5. If possible, you can change another wireless network, and connect the Mac to this one to run a comparison analysis.

There is a FAQ you can refer to as well:https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2241/

Have a good day. 

Options
Re:Loosing internet (packets) MacOS HighSierra and works properly under Windows 7
2019-09-26 16:32:09

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for your reply.

1. I was downloaded installed / uninstalled ONLY drivers from official website.

3. I tried to be literally 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m, 5m. Same / different room.

4. I checked every possible settings. Router has been reeboted. I changed configuration on Mac from DHCP to DHCP with manual address and finally to manual - it's the same. There's no conflict - every other single device working properly.

5. I couldn't change network, however i bought two of those WiFi adapters (both new) from two different buyers - and it's the same, so we can be sure, there's not a broken adapter, as it couldn't be - as mentioned earlier, I tested it on Windows 7 computers and I had no problem at all.

Thank you in advance for your most appreciated help.

Options
2019-09-27 07:00:13

@Nasedo 

Hello, thanks for your reply. 

You can install the driver for Mac10.14 and test its performance and stability. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-wn725n/#Driver

And you can change the wireless settings on the main router, like wireless channel and channel width.

Besides, cause the 2 adapters have the same issue and they work well in Windows 7 laptop, you can give a call to the Apple tech support to get some suggestions. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-27 09:45:45

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you, for your advices, however...

Driver 10.14 has been tested. No improvements at all. I testes various settings on my router and it doesn't affect at all.

I'm not trying to tell anyone WiFi adapter (one or more) is broken, as I proved working without any issues on Windows 7 PC. I thought, community may experience similiar problem and knows solution.

I may try to test this adapter on my other Mac but not sure if result could be conclusiv, as I have MacOS Yosemite and I will have to use older drivers pack. Now, I'm preparing to MacOS "downgrade" and will check if installation MacOS Sierra (10.12) instead of High Sierra (10.13) makes a difference.

Options
2019-09-27 14:27:27 - last edited 2019-09-28 18:10:56

@Nasedo 

It looks, like I helped myself. What has been done?

1. Downgrade form High Sierra to Sierra (10.13 -> 10.12)

2. Same clean, official, fully updated MacOS.

3. Official TP-Link drivers (ver. 3.0) - but now, drivers 10.8 - 10.12

So far, no packets lost at all (tested more than one hour). I don't want to jump to conclusion yet, but for now I can see big improvement.

Options
2019-09-28 18:11:58

@Nasedo 

It looks better... for short period of time. Aparently more time needed. Older driver and older system is not a solution at all.

Options
2019-09-29 01:46:14

@Nasedo 

Thanks for your reply, glad to hear that it works so far with older OS version.

You can take more time to test the stability, in the meantime, we will run a test at our lab and verify whether we can reproduce the same issue. 

And any updates at your end, please let us know.

Best regards. 

Options
2019-09-29 07:35:51

@Kevin_Z 

You probably missed my last post.

My first impression was positive, but eventually WiFi connection became ustable as it was before.

Downgrading (rolling back) MacOS from 10.13 to 10.12 IS NOT a solution.

Drivers for 10.8 - 10.12 instead od 10.13 drivers not helping.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 894

Replies: 8