Local Domain Name

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Local Domain Name

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Local Domain Name
Local Domain Name
2019-09-26 01:37:21
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Anyone have any idea what the local domain name is? Or how to assign one?

I'm using my Deco in router mode. I'm trying to set up Pi Hole so it can get the device names from the deco, but can't do it without the local domain name. 

Options
13 Reply
Re:Local Domain Name
2019-09-26 03:31:49

@Razr 

As you mentioned that Pi-hole can't do it without the local domain name, could you please provide more information? 

Meanwhile, as my knowledge, you can customize the LAN DNS server of the Deco manually and change it to the Pi-hole's IP to achieve it. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-26 03:38:37

@Kevin_Z Well Pi Hole can't determine the names of devices on my network, as I don't use it as a DHCP server, I use my Deco.

This image from Pi Hole explains it.  Link

It uses conditional forwarding to resolve the names of connected devices and in order for that to work I need my local domain name.

"Note: The local domain name must match the domain name specified in your router, likely found within the DHCP settings."

Also if you don't know Pi Hole is a DNS level ad blocker, so it's set as my DNS on my Deco so my whole network can use it. 

Options
2019-09-26 03:42:21
"Meanwhile, as my knowledge, you can customize the LAN DNS server of the Deco manually and change it to the Pi-hole's IP to achieve it. " Yes, Pi Hole is working, but for tracking purposes I'd like to use conditional forwarding so I can see what is what without having to look up the IP or Mac address on the Deco. Thats the only reason I need the local domain name of the decos, or to know if one is even assigned :)
Options
2019-09-27 01:07:44
According to the manual " You can modify WAN settings (IPv4 & IPv6), control Deco's LED and turn notifications off and on, easily create a domain name for your Deco" I've looked through every menu in the app for the Deco, definitely no option to set a local domain name. Could this be added as a feature in a future update? Does the Deco assign a local domain name that comes from the factory? Thanks.
Options
2019-09-29 06:18:03
Any idea what I can do?
Options
2019-09-30 09:58:39

@Razr 

Hello, I'm afraid that the Deco cannot satisfy your needs cause Deco does not support host name resolution, therefore, it cannot transfer the packets to Pi-hole and device cannot access internet.

Instead, it supports DNS only, it needs the entire domain name. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-03 19:07:22

@Kevin_Z The instructions/website should be updated then, because the manual claims to support setting local domain names. I feel kinda ripped off. 

Options
2019-10-12 07:05:34

@Razr 

Hello, where did you see that message? 

Could you please show us a picture and a link of the manual?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
2020-06-03 21:22:44

@Kevin_Z 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1280406/Tp-Link-Deco-M5.html?page=12&term=domain&selected=1

Could be misleading, but it mentions setting a domain name in the above link, but doesn't explain how to do this.  I'm wondering if they're referring to DDNS name...?

Advanced Features

Additional features are available under the Advanced menu. You can modify WAN settings (IPv4 & IPv6), control Deco's LED and turn notifications off

and on, easily create a domain name for your Deco, set up port forwarding rules to make your local computers accessible to other devices over the

internet, reserve the same IP address for a specific device, and change the working mode.

Options
2020-07-19 21:52:34 - last edited 2020-07-19 21:58:31

@Kevin_Z   I am unfortunately on the same boat, using my TP-LINK Deco P9 as DHCP server and using Pi-hole as my DNS server across the LAN. In order to be able to resolve some machines' hostnames (my home servers), I have been forced to bind their MAC addresses to static IP addresses on the router and, in turn, create local DNS entries in Pi-hole.

This is quite sub-optimal. Prior to this experience I had an ASUS router, which allowed me to set a DNS suffix / local domain, so that all my machines would use it and I could then configure this on Pi-hole for correct name resolution across the whole network. It would be great if you guys could implement this on your next firmware, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 13484

Replies: 13

Related Articles