WPA4220 Extender labelling and device ID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-28 07:11:43 - last edited 2019-09-28 07:13:41
Model: TL-WPA4220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have the TL WPA4220Kit with four range extenders - all working with the occassional glitch.

My query concerns the labelling of the devices.  Three of the extenders had labels showing a Device ID that differed from that displayed when I viewed the network using the TP-Link PLC Utility.  The difference was in the last character of the four character ID, although one had all four characters different.

The labels are stuck to the bottom of the devices where they cannot be seen without removing the devices from their sockets.

It all seems crazy to me - surely these labels should be accurate and clearly visible.

The other TP-link Utility - 'powerline scan' seems pretty useless and only shows three of my five devices. They are only identified by their MAC which again is labelled on the bottom of the device and might well be as inaccurate as the Device ID.

When there is a power cut all the devices have to be unplugged and plugged back in again, otherwise random comms faults occur with both wireless and ethernet services.

Options
4 Reply
Re:WPA4220 Extender labelling and device ID
2019-09-29 03:24:09

@johnnyC 

Hello, What is the current network diagram? How do you connect these devices together? 

Could you please show us a picture to indicates the difference between the Device ID from the device itself and the utility? 

Meanwhile, as long as the device supports tpPLC utility, it can be detected once it was paired; Please notice that the tpPLC utility can detect one powerline network only. 

If you use the powerline scan utility, it will detect the extenders with wifi function only, cause this utility is used to customize wireless settings of powerline adapter. 

When the power came back, what is the led status of the powerline adapters? Can you detect the wifi name from them?

At that time, please connect your device to the TP-link wifi and click here to check the IP and gateway. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-29 06:57:00

@johnnyC   Thankyou for your response to my post.

The Extenders are all connected through my household electricity wiring via 13A sockets.

I hereby attach a screenshot of the TP-link utility network display.

I have amended the device names by inserting a preceding location to the original device name as displayed by TP-Link utility.

Here is an image of one of the device labels showing a six character label when the utility only shows the last four:

On another device I have been confused by the MAC address which shows a different final character - apologies if this is not relevant.

Thank you for explaining the feature of the powerline scan untility being restricted to wifi function extenders.  All four of my extenders have wifi function but the scan only detects three:

sorry but, I am unable to turn off the power at presently.  I will carry out the test next week when it will be appropriate to do so.

Regards

JohnnyC

Options
2019-09-30 06:43:34

@johnnyC 

Hello, thanks for your reply. You can give it a go when you are available. 

We did a test at our lab, and the device ID show up the last 4 MAC address as expected.

Back to your case, you provided 4 MAC addresses printed on the actual extender, by comparing them, three of them are different from those in tpPLC utility, one of them is the same. 

You can try to reset all of them and re-add them via the tpPLC utility when you are available, and you can verify whether they show up the last 4 MAC address numbers by default. 

Then you can rename the device ID to specify them. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-30 07:08:54

@Kevin_Z 

OK- it is odd that one has a 6 character device ID.

But, does it really matter that the the device ID's are not the last four characters of the MAC address?

Now I know there is a disconnect between some of the labellling, I am no longer confused and have written my own ID's on the devices.

Everything seems to work OK - perhaps it would be better to leave well alone?

Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 990

Replies: 4

Related Articles