Add an option to force DNS on all devices in the network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-12 06:22:18 - last edited 2019-10-14 17:19:40
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.31

Hi there!

Many devices nowadays have a baked default DNS so they are able to ignore the one I set for Deco. Could you add an option to force this setting? Or is there a way to do that currently?

Fundamentally you could create a firewall rule based on a simple UI "Force DNS settings" switch like:

ALLOW TCP/UDP IN/OUT to <DNS1> or <DNS2> on Port 53

and

BLOCK TCP/UDP IN/OUT all IP addresses on Port 53

Is there a beta version of the firmware I could use to pass an iptables command or similar?

I think DNS is becoming more and more a critical service to ensure internet privacy, it would be great (and not to hard to bake into the firmware) if a user would be able to set a DNS and have confidence it is going to be effectively used by the devices in the network.

Cheers,

Options
3 Reply
Re:Add an option to force DNS on all devices in the network
2019-10-16 10:23:19

@Mattt 

Hello, sorry to tell  you that there is no such feature supported by Deco to force DNS settings. And there is no beta firmware available yet.

While we have noted this, and will keep an eye on the similar feedback.

You can wait for the updates. 

Good day. 

Options
2021-01-05 08:35:33

Hi @Kevin_Z, I also need this to be implemented. Because there is no point setting up parental control DNS if they can bypass this. Thank you.

Options
2022-01-14 19:17:28

@NanoG6 

+1 from here 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1058

Replies: 3