Deco M5 / M4 Mixed Network, Ethernet and Wireless Backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-17 02:21:47
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20190617 rel 47476

Hi all,

I have 5 Deco Units:

• Deco M5 x 2 (1 Main ethernet, 1 slave wireless backhaul)
  • Deco M4  x3 (all slave, ethernet backhaul)

All units are connected to my main switch.

The problem is with my Deco M5 Slave Unit, it will only connect to the Main M5 unit for wireless backhaul. It is unable to get a wireless backhaul from the Deco M4s that have Ethernet Backhaul enabled. Does Ethernet Backhaul disable simultaneous Wireless Backhaul?

Second problem - Slave M5 unit has VERY short range, like unreasonably short. 10 ft maximum range. Any further than that, the slave unit will not obtain a wireless backhaul from the Main Deco M5 unit... is it unreasonable to expect better range? I live in a suburb in a typical North American house, so it's not like there is a lot of signals or interference. Also, my smartphones, tablets, etc. all have better range than 10 ft... 

Any help, comments would be appreicated.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M5 / M4 Mixed Network, Ethernet and Wireless Backhaul
2019-10-18 01:14:21 - last edited 2019-10-18 01:15:01

@coolspot18 

Please show us the current network diagram, how do you connect these devices? From your description, it seems like :

ISP router --Switch--Main Deco )))(((slave Deco

--3x Deco M4 

What is the signal strength you can get from the Main Deco's wifi with your smart phone or computer when you next to the slave Deco? 

With locating it further than 10ft, can the slave Deco pick up the main Deco's wifi? What is the led status of the slave Deco M5 at that time? 

Try to exchange their locations and verify whethe it is the Deco itself or the network environment which affects the performance. 

For the ethernet backhaul and wireless backhaul, they won't disable each other, while the ethernet backhaul has higher priority than the wireless backhaul. The reason why the slave Deco does not connect to the Deco M4 which has connected to the switch by wired cable is hard to say, Next to the slave Deco, you can compare the signal strength from the main Deco M5 and the slave Deco M4 separately. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2695

Replies: 1

Related Articles