TD-W8960N Problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TD-W8960N Problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TD-W8960N Problems
TD-W8960N Problems
2012-12-28 07:40:45
Region : Canada

Model : TD-W8960N

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version : 1.4.0 Build 111108 Rel.40398n

ISP : VIF INTERNET (www.vif.com)

Hi and sorry for my bad english. i'll try to do my best.

Few months before, my wife's laptop got some WI-FI Issues. It sometimes going offline and goes back online few minutes after (my Wireless is not visible on my 2 laptops when it does that)... I updated the firmware and it did'nt changed anything... it disconnects randomly and reconnect alone... if not, i have to reboot it !

i have this ADSL modem/wireless router for 3 years, probably more! and recently (3 or 4 months before), forgiving wireless problems on my wife's new computer i bought a wireless usb key (a TP LINK TOO) and the problem still the same... I had a gift at christmas, a BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK 16GB EDITION and the wireless disconnects frequently.. and in other computers too... More than in the past months... so i begin to think that this Unit is probably done for a trash ride!

Also, my ADSL CONNECTION is doing the same... in some streaming (Netflix, Youtube and more), (with a PC who's connected with a lan cable) it goes FullSpeed... and then BANG all stops for 3 to 8 seconds... leds stops to blink, all stay on, no reboot, no INTERNET or ADSL lost... nothing! and then BANG it comes back again and the streaming is back ! It does the same on big downloads (750MB ISO'S for testing)... or other downloads.

My provider checked all the settings (who have'nt been changed for 3 years) and all seems to be Okay for him.. i got to work hard to make him check the settings because he told me that this device was'nt the one they rent (or sale) but the interface still the same, they rent some TP LINK too!! so all seems to be okay for them. Connection is ok, line is clean, signals are good (6mbps on copper lines) etc.

Hope you'll be able to help me because i love this device... and i hope that's not the end of this TP LINK device... he's not hot, always been at the same place, no new devices around him who could do some interference or other things... i got all the same setup for 3 years...

Wireless problems began past year. they got worst for the past month. and the ADSL problem that i described a lil'bit higher on this topic began the past month too.

Thanks a lot if you can help me with this!

a TP LINK lover!

Martin.T.
Options
10 Reply
Re:TD-W8960N Problems
2012-12-28 09:10:42
Have you tried to reset the modem and reconfigure it? How about the wireless channel on the modem? Maybe you can give a try to change the channel to see how is the wireless going.
Options
2012-12-29 09:38:49
i resetes-id to factory defaults when i bought the Wireless usb key and it does the same..

yesterday and today, Wireless did'nt shut-off... Internet goes well... it looks like to be a random problem...

Even in the log, there is nothing CRITICAL or URGENT... Bizarre!

PS : there is two posts in here that i can't read... pub or spam ? i dunno!
Options
2013-01-02 07:20:07
Some new stuff in here for those who knows these units...

i checked the log after a complete reset, and i found something "critical"...

Jan 1 08:18:27 user crit kernel: eth0 Link DOWN.
Jan 1 08:18:29 user crit kernel: eth0 Link UP.

there was some other log alerts but just some attacks from people who tries to get in my router from countries way far about here ! hehe

Is this means something for somebody here ?

i'm amazed to see that there's no technician from TP LINK here to help us !
Options
2013-01-03 00:46:55
Hi, im having the same issue with a brand new TD-W8961ND (300mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router). Have you managed to figure out what the problem is?

Its driving me mad because I had better performance with my old modem router, I get disconnected at random when on WIFI and its not a case of signal issue. I know this because I setup a little test, I connected my Laptop via WIFI, my PS3 via WIFI then my desktop PC via Ethernet, and they all lost connection at the same time.. My ISP say there are no problems their end with a 99% probability the fault is with my new router. I never had a problem with my old equipment and I only upgraded it because I wanted 300mbps "N" connection.... im only connecting at 150mbps so I would have been better off saving my money and going for the cheaper version of my wifi router.. im very frustrated atm and thinking of asking for a refund

Hope someone can help us!!

Thank you
Options
2013-01-03 04:33:03

Lee Hughes wrote

Hi, im having the same issue with a brand new TD-W8961ND (300mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router). Have you managed to figure out what the problem is?

Its driving me mad because I had better performance with my old modem router, I get disconnected at random when on WIFI and its not a case of signal issue. I know this because I setup a little test, I connected my Laptop via WIFI, my PS3 via WIFI then my desktop PC via Ethernet, and they all lost connection at the same time.. My ISP say there are no problems their end with a 99% probability the fault is with my new router. I never had a problem with my old equipment and I only upgraded it because I wanted 300mbps "N" connection.... im only connecting at 150mbps so I would have been better off saving my money and going for the cheaper version of my wifi router.. im very frustrated atm and thinking of asking for a refund

Hope someone can help us!!

Thank you

i have the same problem of wifi lost too.. that's bad to see that we have no support from TP LINK in here! :(
Options
2013-01-03 15:59:01
hi guys,
about the wifi disconnect problem, i think maybe it's hardware problem, suggest you contact with tp-link support by email, there are so many posts here, so maybe this one was ignored.
Options
2013-03-11 11:20:18
Hi guys Ive been told to change the wireless channel to 1,6 or 11.
is yours on auto?
will let you know if this solves the problem
Options
2013-04-02 19:18:07
Hello, I have the same problem.
My wireless frequently disconnects on my phone, laptop, tablet etc but my PC which is connected by Ethernet cable never loses connection.
I have tried changing my Wireless channel from Auto to 1, as the above poster said. Will see if it helps.
Options
wireless problem
2017-07-03 17:53:06
Hello, I also have the same intermittent wireless problem. I have analyzed the problem and it seems to be the 802.11n protocol implementation on the router. For some devices it seems ok for others it's not. My solution is to turn off the wireless N protocol support and choose one of the other options (see advanced options) - 11bg worked for me - although this does rather defeat the object of having two antennas - still most people on a home network with a slow internet connection will not notice the difference....

Mode: In the drop-down list you can select : “11b”, “11g”, “11bg”, “11bgn”and "11n only

p.s "the logs checked the log after a complete reset, and i found something "critical"..." don't worry here - this is just the router doing its job detecting the never ending network scans that are looking for old and buggy routers to hack..
Unfortunately the firmware on this device is very old .. are TP-Link still supporting this device ?
Options
2017-08-03 15:42:27
May I know the model number, hardware version and firmware version of your product? We can check whether we have new firmware for your model.
Options