Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
333 Reply
Re:Deco M5 source signal selectable?
2020-09-21 09:33:44 - last edited 2021-02-09 01:57:12

@Hylure  @Sherowveer  @APrince  @tlx  @R144N  @Greenones 

Hello all, sorry to respond late.

Normally, Deco will select the best source unit to connect automatically, and there is currently no option on the Deco app to force it to connect to a certain source unit.

We actually have feedback this as a feature request to our developers and they will evaluate the feasibility to improve it.

Please wait patiently and keep an eye on your Deco app in case there are any updates.

Note: You may try to relocate the 3rd Deco unit and ensure it is 100% closer to the 2nd Deco, or you may turn off the main Deco first and ensure the 3rd is connected to the 2nd successfully, then turn on the main to give it a go.

Thank you all and have a nice day~

Options
2020-09-21 15:53:43 - last edited 2020-09-21 15:56:18

TP-Link_Deco wrote

1. Normally, Deco will select the best source unit to connect automatically,

2. We actually have feedback this as a feature request to our developers and they will evaluate the feasibility to improve it.
Please wait patiently and keep an eye on your Deco app in case there are any updates.

3. Note: You may try to relocate the 3rd Deco unit and ensure it is 100% closer to the 2nd Deco, or you may turn off the main Deco first and ensure the 3rd is connected to the 2nd successfully, then turn on the main to give it a go.

1. Obviously, from all the postings here, Deco does not "normally" do this for many users.

2. People have been waiting a year or two. Asking them to "wait patiently" with no sign of anything happening is a bit much.

3. This seems both odd and incorrect, based on other postings. The odd part is that you can remove the main Deco (eliminating the Internet connection) and still have the others make connections to each other. I have not tried this, so I guess it could happen and might work. But the incorrect part comes from the fact that people have reported doing similar playing around by moving Deco slaves around. They may get the connection they want initially. But then when the slaves are moved back into their regular location, they default back into the less desirable connections.

Options
2020-09-22 23:46:24

@TP-Link_Deco I'm having this same problem. My main deco is not in a central location in my home and it's not feasible to relocate the modem. It should be a pretty reasonable feature request for mesh network to accommodate. I'd appreciate if the devs could take a look at it. Thank you!

Options
2020-09-25 02:31:57

@TP-Link_Deco I'm having the same issue and the provided workaround doesn't work properly. Any ETA for a real fix?

Thanks,

Kobi.

Options
2020-09-26 14:39:06

I will soon throw all my tplink products out of the window and I am fed up of hearing we listen to your feedback but will think of feasibility.  You have so many pages of your users telling you the same darn thing.  Just do it already!  And freaking allow users to access basic freaking feature like doing port forwarding on the freaking web ui! I don't like working with my phone all the time!!

Options
2020-09-27 20:31:02

@TP-Link_Deco ok now... how to wait patiently is flagged as Best Solution baffles me. I mean... I have no complaints regarding Roaming or Beamforming. But my 3rd unit is like 15mts away from the Main Unit and 7mts from the 2nd. So Deco chooses 15 instead of 7?... that makes no sense to me! How a signal 15mts away is better than one that is 7mts?!?! Reboot, Add, Remove, Reboot again IS NOT A SOLUTION! It is just a way o saying we, from TP-Link, couldn't´t care less about our customers and that´s not an issue so we will not take care of this. Period. And that´s ok by me.. as long as you stop advertising Deco as a Mesh Solution, which is not. Sure enough it helped me with a signal black hole I had in my bedroom but that´s about it. I was considering buying two more units but until we have a way to choose (and not lose after a reboot) how the units connect to each other... well, TP-Link will have to have patiently (as you say) for my money...

Options
2020-09-28 08:56:15 - last edited 2020-09-28 08:57:22

@TP-Link @TP-Link_Deco 

you keep saying since 2019 that you would solve the issue / engineers are working on this / just wait for updates...

we spent money in your products expecting a mesh system.

we got a good wifi extender paying the mesh system price.

we came to this forum asking for help and received only "wait, wait and wait again". We cannot even ask for a refund since most of us bought the system months ago already.

we now wait for an update to solve this issue. 

I think we are not asking for anything special - we just want a mesh system to work like a mesh system should work.

Options
2020-09-28 19:12:37
I have this same question actually........3rd Deco not connecting to nearest Deco and so suffering from compromised speed versus the other 2
Options
2020-09-28 19:15:29
I have the exact same issue as you.
Options
2020-09-28 19:37:59

@MackPhoenix62 

I wonder how many folks with the problem bought their Deco from Amazon and gave it an appropriately reduced rating with comments. If enough people did that, maybe Tp-link would take some action.

I gave it only three stars, both for the problem in the thread and the inadequate customer support in solving it.

There are many 4 and 5 star reviews. In a simple setup, it probably works fine for those users. Or the users have such fast internet connections that they don't even realize the wifi could be much better. Probably very few understand the issue here at all.

Options
Related Articles