Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
333 Reply
Re:Deco M5 source signal selectable?
2021-01-10 23:57:27

Add me to the long, growing list of users whose 3rd Deco always selects the signal source of the main Deco, and not the Deco next in line or closets Deco.

I've tried several of the previously offered suggestions but nothing seems to correct the issue. 

I have set my system up so that the Main Network is set to 5.0 ghz for my laptop, iPad, iPhone and other devices that can use 5.0 ghz and my Guest Network is set to 2.4 ghz for my security cameras and other items that can only use 2.4 ghz. With my furtherest Deco using my main/first in line Deco and not the next in line closeest Deco, the wifi speed for several of my devices suffers.

It would be great if tp-link would address this request to allow the option to pick which Deco to use as the signal source as myself and so many others have asked for.

The sooner the better. 

Options
2021-01-11 16:34:41
I too struggle with my 4th deco to find any other units that are all closer than the main unit. Even if I put it next to unit 2 it will choose the main unit with weak signal. A function to choose the strongest signal/unit would be very welcome indeed. Bastiaan
Options
2021-01-11 21:00:53 - last edited 2021-01-11 21:02:43

hi, Had my new X60 DECO set today.
Work great / looks great. Took some time before i found / figured out the 'internet settings' in the globe-pic.

Then stumbled on same problem as you all :  

in a 1-2-3 setting , nr.3 is connecting wireless to nr.1 ???? and there is no way to set nr3 to nr2 as a signal source ??

Why when nr1 (weak) is further away than nr2 ! (stronger signal).   

In my config 1 and 2 are cable-backboned to each other.

So i stumbled on an early post :

" 1. in the deco app click on the globe icon (says internet)

2. click on the three dots column in the top right - select "Set Main Deco"

3. Choose the main deco to be the unit in the middle of your chain and click SAVE.

4. You will see a warning that says "make sure this deco is connected to your modem or ethrenet" - IGNORE IT even if your main unit is not connected to the internet it will still work. All your units will now connect to the new "main Deco" that is in the middle of your netwrork regardless if this is the one that is physically conected to the internet.  " 

If you do this you get errors / no internet .... 

Switch back the main deco to nr1. and hey presto ! 
>>    nr2 source is nr1.....   
>>    and nr3 source is nr2 (!!!)

My x60-set is new, tomorrow i wil check again if it still works 

(still a mistery to me why we can't choose source for ourselfs !!)

Options
2021-01-12 08:55:10
Interesting, I'll give this a try. I'm trying to decide on upgrade route, between X60 and M9 Plus. The former being wifi 6 and the latter having a dedicated backhaul. What do you make of the X60 compared to the M5? Thanks Dan
Options
Re:Deco M5 source signal selectable? x60 source signal select
2021-01-12 09:09:09 - last edited 2021-01-12 09:10:40

@JazzyDan 

hi, i've no actual experience with the M9-plus (probably works fine / is a bit cheaper ), but it lacks speed & wifi6 compared to the X60. 
The wifi-extrachannel-backhaul is a plus, but my nr1 and nr2 are cable-connected, which is ALWAYs far better (tip).... 
(I believe they will release a x60 with backhaul soon , the x72 or x90?? but it will be expensive ) 

I wanted a system , with fast MESH , to work for many years with no hussle (and so did the kids ;-) .....  so went for the x60. Loving it ! 

(looks nice too)

Cheers mate !
Jos

Options
Re:Deco M5 source signal selectable? x60 source signal select
2021-01-12 09:34:21

@UncleSam Thanks for that :)

Unfortunately I just can't run cables here (rented). So will need the backhaul. So I guess its either M9 plus, or hold out. I think the X72 or x90 may be a bit out of price range, so maybe hold out for a good deal on an M9 plus. My broadband here peaks out at 300mb so 867mb should be enough? And I think the only device I have which supports wi-fi 6 is my laptop. All though as you say it would be nice to buy something future proof. Decisions.......

Options
2021-01-13 21:59:43

@TP-Link_Deco 

Is this going to be resolved with an update I have 6 units and they are selecting the main deco which is furthest away that other units so not extending the WiFi signal to maximise the best speeds which is what I purchased it for. Why would it select the unit furthest away doesn't make sense and an easy option to change for the app with the engineers. 

Bad design to select the poorest signal when the speeds and cover could be amazing. 

Options
2021-01-15 14:30:30

@TP-Link_Deco  

Please please please fix and/or enhance this. Can you also please share the expected delivery date?

Thanks in advance

Options
2021-01-15 16:22:44

@MackPhoenix62 the lack of response from TPLink is uncanny...

Options
2021-01-15 16:37:19

@DezeEnGene 

" Please please please fix and/or enhance this. Can you also please share the expected delivery date? "

The Twelfth of Never seems to be the most likely date.

Options
Related Articles