Setting up issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Setting up issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Setting up issue
Setting up issue
2019-10-21 12:55:28
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there, 

Just tried to setup the ax11000 with orcon new zealand and having trouble. 

Have followed the pbtech guide to no success. 

Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong? 

Options
10 Reply
Re:Setting up issue
2019-10-22 02:11:08

@Unrlx 

What is the led status of the Archer AX11000 now? Does the internet led come on? If it is off or orange, try to login to the management page of the AX11000 and verify whether you have obtained valid internet IP address and gateway. 

If yes, try to change the DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 and then test whether you can access internet. 

If not, give a call to ISP to confirm the configuration parameters. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-10-22 07:24:45

@Kevin_Z 

The P led was red before I left the house. 

I rang orcon before that and they confirmed that my router was trying to connect to their end and said that they will raise a ticket. Got a txt that it was sorted but I haven't been home to check. 

Will post back once I get back from overseas. 

Thanks 

Options
2019-10-22 08:16:12

@Unrlx 

Thanks for your reply. 

Please keep us posted once you came back home and verify the network connection.

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-28 22:24:51

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

I manage to set it up, apparently Orcon had to set something up on their end in order for it to work.

At the moment, when I stand beside the router I am getting 600-700 mbps on Gigabit and connected ethernet is good as well.

When I start moving to the end of the house, my WiFi drops to 40mbps, I have tried a powerline adapter from Tp-Link as well and getting 60-70mbps which is really low. Understandably my house is old and the internal lines aren't great but I'm dissapointed with the WiFi speed. I am currently using a x570 AORUS Elite motherboard as well and the WiFi adapter is a modern one so no fault there. My wireless setting is set to Smart Connect and should connect me to the best network (2.4 or 5ghz).

I went in to PB Tech and they advised to reset the router and check for speeds again.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong here or settings aren't right but really frustrating.

Options
2019-10-29 01:04:18

@Unrlx 

Hello, per you said, the wireless performance will be affected by the distance, obstacles; while there are some settings you can modify to optimize it. 

First, you can change some wireless settings of the main router, like wireless channel and channel width. For 2.4GHz, using channel 1, 6 and 11; channel width as 40MHz first; For 5GHz, using channel 36, 40 and 44, channel width as 80MHz. 

For the TP-Link powerline adapters, first you can verify the powerline link rate between them via the tpPLC utility; and then try to change another sockets to plug them and ensure that the firmware is up to date.

Besides, you can customize the wireless settings of the extender unit. Below is the instruction: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1611/

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-10-29 01:56:59 - last edited 2019-10-29 02:00:45

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

Just tried that but got even worst results.

Turned on MU-MIMO and it got slightly better but still howering around 50mbps.

I tried resetting the router as well but no change.

I turned off the power adapter as it was giving the same speeds as the WiFi. When I checked the rate, it was 200+ on one end and 100+ on the other. I also tried to update the firmware however when I try to use the Utility app to update, it does not show that I can select the bin file. I also tried to update via http://tplinkwifi.net. but when I uploaded the firmware, it told me it was not named correctly.

Options
2019-10-29 12:06:42
The 2.5 band will have better range but is slower than the 5 GHZ band. In my experience, extenders will have slower speeds than your main router just by the nature of how they work. They either share a single band so the signal is more like a CB radio where traffic flows in one direction to the extender and then back the other direction to the extender but not both directions at the same time. Some extenders allow traffic to flow on one band to the extender and back to the router on the other band with the bottle neck being the slower of the two bands. I use a TP-Link RE220 extender so I can cover a dead area in my house and it is slower than my main router.
Options
2019-10-29 13:13:59

@ArcherC8 

More than half? I guess ultimately I would like to hardwire ethernet throughout the house but that'll cost a ton of money.

Still trying to figure out this router as its supposedly the top range in the market. Also know that marketing is put in to place etc but what specs it has it should be better than it should.

Options
2019-10-29 13:55:14
In debugging speed issues, the first step power cycle the modem, router and the PC. To ensure you are getting the speed from your ISP, bypass the router and connect a PC to the modem via ethernet and run some speed tests. If good speeds, then connect the router to the modem and connect the PC to the router via cable. Be sure the cable is of good quality. Test again. If all is good then move to WIFI testing with the PC about five feet away from the router. WIFI signals can be blocked by a lot of things and are also affected by other devices using the same frequencies. Smart home devices, weather stations, wireless phones, wireless cameras, and such. Also WIFI speeds can be affected by the devices attached to that band either by the amount of bandwidth they use or by old devices that may cause the router to revert to an old standard such as an old "g" printer. And of course not all devices support high speeds.
Options
2019-10-29 23:41:37
Understandable. I will try those things as per mentioned. My computer has the latest hardware esp the motherboard so won't be faulting the PC's hardware. I guess other things like you said would affect it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1016

Replies: 10

Related Articles