Quality differences between Poweline Adapters ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-22 12:36:56 - last edited 2019-11-01 06:14:02
Model: TL-PA4010 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I got a PA4010 Kit and it works pretty good between my flat and my cellar. 
It also worked with a power outlet in the building's public area, i.e. across 2 power meters.  I'm fine with a speed of  "only" 44 Mbps.

It did not work well on a power extension strip with multiple sockets. This is somehow clear to me and mentioned everywhere.

That's the reason why I replaced the PA4010 by a PA4010P Kit with Passthrough socket.

This works the same in the easy environment, but cannot find the partner when trying the connection to the power outlet in the public area.

The middle (PowerLan) led remains off and the tpPLC utility does not show the pair.

My questions:

- Are there different hardware capabilities regarding powerlan range between PA4010 and PA4010P or are there individual differences ?

- I read a hint to switch off Power saving mode for the PA4010, which I did, but I cannot find this feature with my PA4010P ?

- Are there better models available, regarding connectivity range?

I heard speed and range optimization are very different, so a slower model might rather even be better for my needs?  That's why I chose the PA4010. 
( I don't want to watch movies out there in the basement, but transmit a few data to a server via my home internet router) 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Quality differences between Poweline Adapters ?-Solution
2019-10-25 08:12:59 - last edited 2019-11-01 06:14:02

@Michael_X 

Except that the TL-PA4010PKIT support power passthrough, there is no big difference between the TL-PA4010KIT & TL-PA4010PKIT. For the power saving mode, please refer to https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2018/  and ensure that the appliance is not running all the time. 

For your information, the performance of the powerline adapter depends on the powerline environment, that is the reason why we suggest you customers to use the powerline adapters under the same power circuit/power meter. 

Back to your case, it is hard to say why the TL-PA4010PKIT does not work properly in public area where the TL-A4010KIT works well; while it is most likely that the powerline environment affects their performance; 

If you want to boost wifi range to public area under different power meters, it is suggested to use range extender which will connect to the internet source by wireless or the mesh devices, like the Deco products. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Quality differences between Poweline Adapters ?-Solution
2019-10-25 08:12:59 - last edited 2019-11-01 06:14:02

@Michael_X 

Except that the TL-PA4010PKIT support power passthrough, there is no big difference between the TL-PA4010KIT & TL-PA4010PKIT. For the power saving mode, please refer to https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2018/  and ensure that the appliance is not running all the time. 

For your information, the performance of the powerline adapter depends on the powerline environment, that is the reason why we suggest you customers to use the powerline adapters under the same power circuit/power meter. 

Back to your case, it is hard to say why the TL-PA4010PKIT does not work properly in public area where the TL-A4010KIT works well; while it is most likely that the powerline environment affects their performance; 

If you want to boost wifi range to public area under different power meters, it is suggested to use range extender which will connect to the internet source by wireless or the mesh devices, like the Deco products. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Quality differences between Poweline Adapters ?
2019-10-25 10:29:35 - last edited 2019-10-25 10:31:00

I understand I was just lucky the day I tested the PA4010, or had bad luck the other day with the PA4010P, with disturbing devices active eventually. Or, vice versa, I should not rely on that first successful test if I need a reliable environment for a permanent connection without manual onsite supervision.

I doubt wifi in a basement with thick concrete walls is an easy approach.

Remains Drilling holes for cables.

Thanks for your response anyway.

Options
Re:Quality differences between Poweline Adapters ?
2019-10-28 08:00:13

@Michael_X 

Thanks for your reply. 

If need more help in the future, just let us know.

Best regards. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1579

Replies: 3

Related Articles