Deco P9 Powerline compatible with non-Deco Powerline hardware?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-22 14:53:10

I've recently purchased the new Deco P9 (3-pack), One of the primary reasons for choosing the Deco P9 was it's ability to also utilise Powerline technology to further extend Wi-Fi coverage for the mesh network, beyond the conventional limits of regular Wi-fi relaying.

Having just order, a thought crossed my mind...

With the Deco 9's ability to make use of Powerline, am i correct in assuming that other, non-Deco TP-Link (and possibly even non-TP-Link) powerline hardware will also be able to use this Powerline connectivity?

Whilst i've purchased the Deco P9, I may also need to get additional Powerline compatible units purely for additional ethernet connection points (for example, in one room i need around 3 connection points, making the Deco P9 units ethernet insufficient as it only contains 2 ethernet ports)?

So, Are my thoughts correct? I can add-on other Powerline capable (TP-Link) units with ethernet and use the existing Powerline connectivity created by the Deco P9s?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco P9 Powerline compatible with non-Deco Powerline hardware?
2019-10-23 02:09:42

@Salem874 

The powerline feature on the Deco P9 is used for powerline backhaul only, it cannot pair with other powerline adapters.

But they can still work together, the Deco P9 acts as a regular wireless router and you can connect the powerline adapters to it to extend the network. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-01-01 21:17:46

Hi @Kevin_Z 

So the Powerline created by the Deco P9 is for backhaul of the Deco network only, and cannot be used by any other Powerline compatible (including non-Deco TP-Link Powerline hardware)?

If so, is it possible to also run a separate powerline network on mains infrastructure? Reason being, whilst i have a new set of Deco P9's to provide Mesh wifi network, the P9 units do lack ethernet ports (only two per unit!). So i'm considering (if possible) getting other TP-Link Powerline units simply for ethernet extensions as some network hard really need ethernet.

Options
2020-01-02 02:03:29

@Salem874 

You are right, the powerline is for backhaul only of the Deco network, it cannot pair with other powerline adapters to setup a powerline network. While you can use Deco P9 as a normal wireless router and connect the powerline adapter to it to provide more ethernet port. 

May it help. 

Options
2020-01-02 10:30:23

@Kevin_Z I think you missed the other part of my question, regarding the possibility of running multiple Powerline networks..?

Alternatively, whilst i could get more Deco P9's i dont really want another three units (it doesnt seem as if singular units are available).

Options
2020-01-03 06:48:09

@Salem874 

Hello, you can run multiple powerline networks. With multiple main adapter connected to the main router, and then you can pair them separately to create different powerline networks. 

For the availability of single Deco P9, you can contact the sales department or the retailer to get some help. 

https://www.tp-link.com/about-us/contact/

May it help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5837

Replies: 5