Unable to throttle bandwidth with Archer C7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-23 02:32:54 - last edited 2019-11-14 06:15:07
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20190726 rel.57101

So after trying for a solid hour now of messing around with all the settings I've come to the conclusion its impossible for me to throttle the bandwidth on users devices in my household. When I turn on QoS my only option is to turn on the priority slider, then set the timing to always. This does not solve my problem, I want to throttle devices and set limits to what they can use. Every search I've done online only shows me videos or images utilizing settings I don't even have like the "Bandwidth Control" menu or the DHCP Client List menu which I don't have.

Is there something I'm missing here this is driving me insane. When I try to play counter-strike my sisters boyfriend is downloading things on his phone and my ping skyrockets to 400+ and he is not the one paying for our service I am. attached below is an image of my QoS screen to show what I'm talking about. In the tp-link user guide from the official website it also shows me a similar QoS screen with additional options I don't have like the slider bars for high priority / middle priority / low priority. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

https://i.imgur.com/rHs58lf.png

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Unable to throttle bandwidth with Archer C7-Solution
2019-10-28 06:01:22 - last edited 2019-11-14 06:15:07

@Kasspa 

The Archer C7 does not support bandwidth, while it supports QoS, which is the similar with bandwidth; But it has changed the basic setting and improved the algorithm/logical and make it more efficient and flexible

The picture attached is too vague to see it clearly, but I did find that you toggled on the priority button for one device? Is it yours? Meanwhile, to make the QoS work, the bandwidth filled should be the actual ones.

You can give it a go to test the performance. 

Besides, how do you connect your device to the C7? If it is wirelessly connected, you can customize some wireless settings and modify the DNS servers under advanced-network-internet page. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-11-14 06:11:01 - last edited 2019-11-14 06:15:16

@Kasspa 

Thanks for your reply. We have noticed that and will update the user manual.

Below is the instruction to setup QoS on the new hardware.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2693/

While sorry  to tell you that we cannot setup specific bandwidth limit for devices now.

The reason why I mentioned DNS settings is that you can customize it to try to improve the performance, so does wireless settings.

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
2019-10-28 06:01:22 - last edited 2019-11-14 06:15:07

@Kasspa 

The Archer C7 does not support bandwidth, while it supports QoS, which is the similar with bandwidth; But it has changed the basic setting and improved the algorithm/logical and make it more efficient and flexible

The picture attached is too vague to see it clearly, but I did find that you toggled on the priority button for one device? Is it yours? Meanwhile, to make the QoS work, the bandwidth filled should be the actual ones.

You can give it a go to test the performance. 

Besides, how do you connect your device to the C7? If it is wirelessly connected, you can customize some wireless settings and modify the DNS servers under advanced-network-internet page. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Unable to throttle bandwidth with Archer C7
2019-11-13 23:52:39 - last edited 2019-11-13 23:57:00

@Kevin_Z Yes the device I have it turned on for is my PC. The image shows just my QoS settings page which was mainly just to show how vastly different it looks from all the support manuals you can find on the official TP-Link website regarding my specific router. I understand that you update things but you also need to do update the manuals then because I'm unable to perform what I wanted which would be possible in the previous versions.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c7/ Like the User guide on that official site

I am wirelessly connected though and if I'm able to set bandwidth limits for devices through the DNS server settings than yes please help. I can link more images if needed but again my settings differ vastly from what that user guide I linked above shows me because I did attempt this route as well already. From the 3 devices you can see connected in the image I originally linked that shows my QoS page I'm just trying to set a bandwidth limit on LeCharles, something like maybe 8-10 Mb/s

Options
2019-11-14 06:11:01 - last edited 2019-11-14 06:15:16

@Kasspa 

Thanks for your reply. We have noticed that and will update the user manual.

Below is the instruction to setup QoS on the new hardware.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2693/

While sorry  to tell you that we cannot setup specific bandwidth limit for devices now.

The reason why I mentioned DNS settings is that you can customize it to try to improve the performance, so does wireless settings.

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Unable to throttle bandwidth with Archer C7
2020-06-27 09:08:25

@Kevin_Z where did you read that QoS is 'similar' to bandwidth control?

QoS is for prioritisation and Bandwidth Control is for control the limit, there is a huge difference and use cases for both.

Why would you remove such basic functionality as Bandwidth Control? It seems that at certain point the firmware was allowing it, why not bring it back?

Unfortunately just bought the Archer C7 and I regret every second

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2702

Replies: 4

Related Articles