Deco says there is no internet, yet internet works

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-23 17:32:24
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.8

Hello,

I have a weird issue with my Deco M5's. There are 3 Deco's connected to my router (TP-Link Archer C7) where I manage port forwarding, address reservation, ... . The router in turn is connected to the main router of my ISP (Orange Belgium).

All three Deco's started showing a red light (I noticed this two days ago, so it could be longer). The Deco app also says "No internet" for all three Deco's.

The strange thing is, the internet is working fine. The WiFi is disabled on my router (in the settings, and with a hardware switch to turn it off), so I'm definitely not connected to the WiFi of the router, I am connected to the Deco.

So it works, but it's a bit annoying that the app and devices show an error while actually nothing is wrong.

Power cycling the devices doesn't help, neither does rebooting from the app.

Any ideas on how to remedy the situation?

I don't know how the Deco checks for an active internet connection, maybe a port needs to be opened or so?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco says there is no internet, yet internet works
2019-10-24 02:47:42

@Drongo 

Do you connect all the three Deco M5 to the Archer C7 by wired cable? If not, please show me the current network diagram? 

What is the operation mode of Deco M5? Cause the C7 still works as the main router, it is suggested to set them up as access point. 

Try to reboot the Deco and Archer C7; 

Best regards. 

Options
2019-10-24 17:52:45

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,

Yes, 2 Deco's are connected by cable, 1 on the topmost floor is not.

They are set to access point mode.

I have tried rebooting the Deco and the C7 several times, but it doesn't work.

I also have a switch connected to one of the wired Deco (so the Deco has a wire to the C7 and one wire to the switch, so both ports on the Deco are used). All devices connected to that switch also can access the internet perfectly. So both wireless and wired connections on the Deco can access the internet, even tho the Deco claims it cannot.

I think the Deco internet check is failing because it is trying to ping some IP or access a server, which is failing for some reason. There it is mistakenly saying there is no internet connection. If this is the case, maybe there is a list somewhere of whar it tries to ping? Maybe I could try to manually ping the address(es) to verify if it works on my network. Maybe it is a misconfigured network setting or something my ISP is blocking.

Options
2019-10-29 07:57:30

@Drongo 

Thanks for your reply.

Try to change the DNS server of the main router. Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8, secondary DNS as 8.8.4.4.

After that, please verify whether the LED light of Deco turns to green. 

Good day.

Options
2019-10-29 12:10:36

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,

If I change the DNS only on my ISP's modem it doesn't work.

Changing the DNS on the modem of my ISP and my own router (Archer C7) fixed the problem for a brief moment. In the app it said "Online" on all three Deco's, however the lights on the Deco's itself were still red.

After doing a power cycle, the light remains red and in the app it's back to "No internet".

The internet does still work fine, so it's still the same situtation.

Thanks,

Glenn

Options
2019-10-30 02:24:43

@Drongo 

While that is a little weird, usually the LED light will turn to green once we changed the DNS.

You can try to change the current Deco to wireless router mode and then verify whether the LED will turn to green; if so, you can change it back to access point;

If not, please go to more-advanced to change the WAN DNS of the Deco and switch it back to AP mode. 

Furthermore, you can hard reset it and reconfigure to give it a go.

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2020-11-11 16:09:42

@Drongo 

Not sure if you have had this sorted but I had the same thing and followed all the suggested remediation steps but nothing worked.

To fix it I simply turned off DNS automatically and left the supplied local and added Googles DNS 8.8.8.8, as soon as I applied this the Decos came back to life and have need fine every since.

The DNS entry can be found under advanced, IPv4, Dynamic IP.

I am not completely sure why this would fix the issue but it could be something to do with the service provider.

Let me know if this works for you or anyone else for that matter.

Options
2020-11-16 08:59:55

@SparkyD 

Hello, 

I don't have the issue anymore. After trying the suggestions I didn't change anything.

It somehow worked itself out. The devices' LEDs are green and the app says it's connected.

Thanks for the help anyway

Options