Deco P7 internet problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-29 19:59:08 - last edited 2019-11-04 02:45:33
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

1. Deco P7 works, but sometimes on my smartphone and my parents/brothers smartphone, it says that the internet doesnt work. 

2. Another Problem: MY setup

Fritzbox 7590(router)--------DECO MAIN(connected with LAN to the router)-------DECO B(connected to DECO C)------DECO C(connected to DECO MAIN)

why does the DECO C connects to the DECO MAIN and not to DECO B?

With this configuration, is router mode fine or should i switch to AP Mode?

3. does AP Mode makes the wifi better, stable?

im asking because i have the option to connect all decos via Ethernet to the router.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Deco P7 internet problems-Solution
2019-10-30 03:15:14 - last edited 2019-11-04 02:45:33

@kostaK 

Hello, what is the error message on the APP? 

At that time, please verify which Deco the client has connected to and get the IP address of that Deco on the Deco app; Then try to ping the IP of the connected Deco and the main Deco. 

Regarding to the current setup, it is suggested to change the Fritzbox 7590 as bridge mode and the Deco as the main router, or you can change the Deco to access point mode to avoid the double NAT issue. 

For the difference between router mode and AP mode, please refer to https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2399/

Meanwhile, there is no option to fix the signal source Deco yet, while we have noted that; for the current issue, it seems that the signal strength obtained by the Deco C from the main Deco does not reach the threshold value which does not trigger the AP/Bandsteering; You can move the 2 Decos further away from each other or reboot them to give it a go. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-10-31 07:04:45 - last edited 2019-11-04 02:45:41

@kostaK 

Hello, in AP mode, there is no 2 different networks anymore; instead, all the IP addresses are assigned by the Fritzbox, and the devices connected to the Deco or Fritzbox can access each other easily; 

While in router mode, there are 2 networks, one for Fritzbox, the other one for Deco; there are 2 NAT devices existed. 

In AP mode, it has nothing to do with the Fritzbox's wifi; it just changes to another operation mode to boost the wifi signal, a separate wifi network from the firtzbox. 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
20 Reply
2019-10-30 03:15:14 - last edited 2019-11-04 02:45:33

@kostaK 

Hello, what is the error message on the APP? 

At that time, please verify which Deco the client has connected to and get the IP address of that Deco on the Deco app; Then try to ping the IP of the connected Deco and the main Deco. 

Regarding to the current setup, it is suggested to change the Fritzbox 7590 as bridge mode and the Deco as the main router, or you can change the Deco to access point mode to avoid the double NAT issue. 

For the difference between router mode and AP mode, please refer to https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2399/

Meanwhile, there is no option to fix the signal source Deco yet, while we have noted that; for the current issue, it seems that the signal strength obtained by the Deco C from the main Deco does not reach the threshold value which does not trigger the AP/Bandsteering; You can move the 2 Decos further away from each other or reboot them to give it a go. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco P7 internet problems
2019-10-30 09:46:57

@kostaK - as you have a extremely capable router (The Fritzbox) I would personally run the Deco's in AP mode - it makes everything simpler IMHO. It's the way I run my Decos and Fritzbox.

Tor

Options
2019-10-30 09:48:18

@Kevin_Z 

1.There is no error message. i disabled fast roaming now, maybe that works.

2.right now, my setup works good. even if it works good, should i switch the fritzbox to bridge mode? 

does this gonna work?

Options
2019-10-30 09:51:17

@Tor-Arne 

if i do this, do i need to connect evry deco with LAN to the router or is there another possiblity?

i have 3 decos, so idk if its worth it.

right now my fritzbox makes herself an network and the decos make one.

do you have deco p7? 

do i need to set the fritzbox to mesh master if i do this with the decos?

Options
2019-10-30 10:09:55

@Tor-Arne 

i updated my setup now. 

Now it is like this:

Fritzbox(main router)--------Deco A(connected per Ethernet)-------Deco B(connected via WiFi with Deco A)--------Deco C (connected via Wifi with Deco )

now my question, what does the ap mode makes better? do i have now more range or soemthing like that?

my fritzbox is in the cave, so i dont think it makes the internet faster.

Tor-Arne wrote

@kostaK - as you have a extremely capable router (The Fritzbox) I would personally run the Deco's in AP mode - it makes everything simpler IMHO. It's the way I run my Decos and Fritzbox.

Tor

Options
2019-10-30 10:54:08

@kostaK IMHO the AP mode is a simplified version of the AP mode as a good example in non-AP mode

Internet addresses -> Fritzbox addresses -> Deco addresses

in AP mode

Internet addresses -> Fritzbox addresses

In non-AP mode all your devices are assigned DHCP addresses by the Deco.

In AP mode all your devices get their DHCP addresses from the fritzbox

and so on - you are duplicating a lot of functionality in both Fritzbox and Decos - leading to a lot of issues if you want to set up f.x a VPN from your laptop on the internet to computers connected to the Deco. I assume you do not use the wireless access point in the Fritzbox, as this is now on a different network from the Deco connected devices?

But if if works as you want it to - keep it in non-AP mode. The range and speed will not really be affected.

Tor

Options
2019-10-30 11:01:07

@kostaK 

I have 6 P7's and 2 of them are connected with Ethernet to the same LAN as the Fritzbox. The rest of the network the P7's will figure out themselves, no need to connect them using Ethernet, as they will connect to each other and the main P7 (The Ethernet connected one) through WiFi or the mains electricity network.

Tor

Options
2019-10-30 11:25:38

@Tor-Arne 

in the AP Mode, the fritzbox works as Master and the other as Slaves right? so i use the fritzbox.

in the Router Mode, the Fritzbox makes himself 1 network, and the decos make 1 network. 

The network from the fritzbox i dont use, because the fritzbox is in the cave.

now in AP Mode, they work all in the same network. 

is this better? im not using any vpn.

Options
2019-10-30 11:28:40

@Tor-Arne 

in the AP-Mode i activated the Network of the fritzbox, normally i deactivate it bcz i dont need it. 

now the fritzbox does Wlan and the wlan of the fritzbox gets extended by my 3 decos right?

Options
2019-10-31 07:04:45 - last edited 2019-11-04 02:45:41

@kostaK 

Hello, in AP mode, there is no 2 different networks anymore; instead, all the IP addresses are assigned by the Fritzbox, and the devices connected to the Deco or Fritzbox can access each other easily; 

While in router mode, there are 2 networks, one for Fritzbox, the other one for Deco; there are 2 NAT devices existed. 

In AP mode, it has nothing to do with the Fritzbox's wifi; it just changes to another operation mode to boost the wifi signal, a separate wifi network from the firtzbox. 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4751

Replies: 20

Related Articles