How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
135 Reply
Re:How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?
2020-07-29 02:03:24

@Interpolpirate  Thank a lot..

i have the same version.. but i dont conect with backhaul powerline.. only say conect to wifi.. 

Options
2020-07-29 02:07:39

@Kook  thanks.

I need help you.. I try to conect by telnet using ssh explorer but i need user and password.. the deco return this

Connected...

Disconnected... [Cause: The requested connection has been refused by the remote host.]
Connecting...
Connected...

Options
2020-08-14 08:26:12

Hi,

I can't seem to connect via Telnet - I keep getting:

"Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed"

I'm using the latest official firmware (Deco_P9(EU)_V1_200513).

Can anyone shed any light?

Options
2020-08-14 08:33:03

@Kevin_Z 

All due respect but that's not a proper solution - you should be able to force the method of backhaul (either powerline, 2.4ghz band, 5ghz band, or Auto). I can understand if you don't want to add that as an option in the App, as it's probably too complicated for most users, but you should at least allow that setting to be changed when connecting to your Deco via a web browser.

On the subject of the web browser interface, the configuration options available are PATHETIC. You can't even change with channel for the wifi networks - WTF!

It's not like you guys are incapable of developing a proper web-interface... before I moved house in 2016 away from a full fibre area I had an Archer C9 router which had lots of configuration options via the web interface. Why then do we have to put up with an essentially useless one for the Deco P9???

The one useful thing I did learn from the web interface is that my main Deco seems to be permanently at 99% or 100% CPU utilisation, which is worrying as the device shouldn't be permanently maxed out just in normal domestic use (and might explain why it gets so damn hot all the time).

The fact it took you so long just to add WPS functionality to the app is beyond ridiculous.

Options
2020-08-14 11:26:32

@TDH85 

It's no longer possible since the last Firmware update.

Only the beta allowed it

Options
2020-08-14 14:25:01

@jpasan 

Oh FFS. One step forward, two steps back with this f***ing thing. 

Wish I'd never bought it. Firmware, app and web interface are total s**t and Tp-link's product support is shocking. 

Oh well. 

Options
2020-08-14 14:30:25

Has anyone tried Ethernet backhaul with these things?

Options
2020-08-14 16:01:20
If I had a fully wired house I probably wouldn't need a mesh wifi system...
Options
2020-08-17 08:28:59 - last edited 2022-07-14 02:52:46

@TDH85 

Hello, sorry for all the inconvenience or instability caused by the mesh network. 

For the CPU shows 99% or 100% issue, as far as we can tell it will only appear when you just entered the web UI of the Deco P9 and it will be back normal after a while, please confirm.

It is not allowed to change the wireless channel on the Deco mesh network as we understand all the Deco nodes may build up the mesh network via Wi-Fi and there is a risk that the RE Deco may fail to connect to the main Deco if you change the channel on the main while the RE fails to synchronize. Most importantly, the Deco will select the best channel automatically to have good Wi-Fi performance and it is not recommended to change the Wi-Fi channel or channel width on the Deco manually. If you notice that your Deco Wi-Fi network is sharing a channel with several other networks, don’t worry. Crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is bust, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference. 

However, if your Deco P9 network is not stable due to some interference or Wi-Fi backhaul, it is suggested to contact the local tech support via email or Deco app feedback and our engineer will help you analyze it then provide a solution:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/contact-technical-support/#E-mail-Support

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.  

Options
2020-09-30 00:08:36

There is a  small update, but still doesn't have a troubleshoot for the powerline feature, Just bought the P9 today, updated it, and spent a good few hours trying to find out what the heck is wrong with it. I live in a 3 story house and I can't figure out what's wrong, I tried plugging them (straight to the socket ) in throughout the different floors then even tried to get them all in one room, it never mentioned anything about backhaul/powerline connection.

This had great potential but was horribly executed one which marketed and destroyed my enthusiasm towards the company and its product.

Options
Related Articles