How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
135 Reply
Re:How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?
2020-11-07 23:25:06 - last edited 2020-11-08 17:11:41

@TP-Link_Deco 

I read through this thread and I have the latest FW, I still have the issue... It seems my P9 slaves opt to choose WIFI over PLC and speeds are 20Mbps vs 212Mbps... I need to disable the Wifi backhaul and didn't test the telnet solution yet.

Does anyone know if the telnet solution works in the latest FW? If not, how can I get the latest beta version?

Thanks,

Options
2020-11-09 12:28:30

@LCunha 

Hello, thanks for asking again.

As we already mentioned to others that the latest firmware 1.1.2 Build 20200918 Rel. 74476 has optimized the PLC backhaul, that means the system will automatically choose the PLC backhaul when the distance between the two are not close. However, please ensure the PLC backhaul can build up sucessfully and you are suggested to plug them both into the wall socket.

BTW, there is no telnet or SSH that we can provide to disable the Wi-Fi Backhaul on the current firmware.

Thanks for your understanding.

Options
2020-11-09 13:10:12

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hey thanks for your reply, however "system will automatically choose the PLC backhaul when the distance between the two are not close" it's too subjective, what does it means? I have thick walls and my P9s are less than 30m apart, Wifi connection is really bad between P9s, that's why I really need to force the PLC connection. 

Is there a way to have a beta version in which we could connect through ssh/telnet to change the config?

Thanks,

Options
2020-11-09 13:28:08

It is beyond my comprehension why there is still no option to configure the P9s to use either Powerline or WiFi to handle the backhaul.

This was a major feature gap way back at the launch of the product and the main reason I sent mine back. 

I know powerline works well in my home which has very thick walls, so was really hoping for a solution that would run powerline backhaul whilst providing mesh wi-fi throughout the property.  Due to the historic nature and  thick walls in the house, I don't want to run ethernet cabling through the building to provide a series of wired access points.

In theory the P9's should have provided a great solution, but in practice because of the flawed powerline/wifi backhaul logic, they failed to impress.

It seems as though noting has changed with teh latest firmware release.  

Options
2020-11-09 15:20:33

@LCunha @TP-Link_Deco

I am completely with LCunha here - you need to give us the option to take MANUAL control over backhaul as for some of us ONLY PLC will work consistently (e.g. those of us with thick walls).

Half my house is an extension so I basically have an external wall running through the middle of my house which KILLS wifi signal. Add to that the fact that I don't have perfectly spaced free power sockets to daisy chain Decos I want them to talk to each other via PLC. I sold my TP-Link powerline adapters which I had paired with my BT Whole Home discs for the Deco P9 entirely because I wanted a solution that integrated powerline backhaul with mesh wifi so as to maximise stability and speed whist switching seamlessly to the strongest wifi point when moving around the house. 

Options
2020-11-10 01:06:50

@LCunha 

Hello, 

We would like to escalate your case to our engineers, and they will help follow it up, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.    

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options
2020-11-11 11:33:55
I can't speak for @LCunha, but I would definitely be happy to work with your engineers if it meant improving the app functionality generally (and giving manual control over backhaul too).
Options
2020-11-11 11:41:37

@TP-Link_Deco Yep working with your support team on this. Thanks.

@TDH85 Like you, I'm willing to support/help your team to fix the gap.

Options
2020-11-16 12:36:15

@TP-Link_Deco 

Can I also be contacted to test a solution? I need the ability to disable wifi backhaul. I am on firmware 1.1.2. 

Options
Re:How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?-Solution
2020-11-17 09:26:27 - last edited 2022-07-14 02:54:21

@Mav3rick 

Hi All,

Please refer to this link to check whether powerline backhaul is working or not.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/236860?replyId=519310

And if the signal source showed as Wi-Fi and PLC backhaul, there is no way to turn off one of them.

But PLC backhaul has a higher priority than Wi-Fi for the communication between Decos;

As for more details, about Deco backhaul, please refer to this link:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2401/

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

Related Article:

Deco P9 PLC issue

Recommended Solution
Options
Related Articles