Deco M9 Plus Guest network is allowing local network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-05 06:52:12
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel. 54023

I have 3 x Deco M9 Plus. I would like to enable the guest network for visitors but I found that the users are able to access my local network. Does anyone know how to disable this? I would like to allow internet access only. Thanks!

Options
28 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus Guest network is allowing local network
2019-11-05 08:47:16

@Arctech 

Hello, what is the operation mode of the Deco M9 plus? 

Theoretically, the host network and guest network are isolated from each other in wireless router mode, while not in AP mode. 

But the request has been noted and forwarded to our product engineer. 

You can wait for the updates. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-11-05 12:51:10

@Kevin_Z

"But the request has been noted and forwarded to our product engineer. 

You can wait for the updates. "

I have been waiting for this for some time already, others even longer. Is it only one engineer working on this? That might explain the delay. ;-)

Options
2019-11-06 08:20:41 - last edited 2019-11-06 08:30:32

@AM1 

The new features are added via the firmware upgrade; before that, we need verify whether this feature is necessary and evaluate the feasibility and develop it. The amount of the cases feedback is the point, it lays a solid foundation to represents the importance of this feature. 

Besides, except some significant bug need to be fixed as soon as possible, it will take some time to release a normal official firmware with a bunch of new features added. 

More new features means that more time it need, and these new features have their priorities. 

There is a new firmware released for Deco M9 plus, which added some features like linked Deco or so; other features are still waiting to be added. But with more feedback received, more quickly it will be released. 

Options
2019-11-25 05:45:44
It is in Access Point mode
Options
2019-11-25 05:48:52

@Kevin_Z Thanks for your replies and support! I think it's ridiculous to even need people to request for this feature, Guest network is for guests, how could it be that they have full access to our internal network. This is a security hazzard to our network. And this feature is already available in our TP-Link archer C1200 router so i believe it can be replicated easily by the engineers. Please see screenshot below

Options
2019-12-02 11:30:50

Hi Guys..any update?

Options
2019-12-12 14:41:00

+1 on this request. 

For quite some time the recommendation for a safer environment has been to connect any "smart-home-devices" to a separate network, for instance the Guest network. Like in this recommendation from the FBI posted december 2019. https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices/portland/news/press-releases/tech-tuesday-internet-of-things-iot . 

TP-Link must prioritize this matter on the Deco-series as it has the potential to be a PR-disaster. A guest network that is not a guest network....how did they think surprise 

My setup is internet ->M9 (router) ->switch -> 2xM5 (AP, ethernet backhaul). All fully patched. 

Options
2019-12-13 03:02:06

@wtf @Arctech 

The guest network and main network are separated from each other when Deco M9 plus works in router mode. 

And this feature is planned to add when it works as AP mode. While I'm sorry to tell you that the estimated supporting time is still unsure. You can keep an eye on official website or Deco app for more updates. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-12-13 05:37:48

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for rhe reply. I have to say this is not a feature, it is a bug and a security risk. Maybe the developers can prioritise this?

Options
2019-12-13 08:33:49

@Kevin_Z  IF it is as You say, ”The guest network and main network are separated from each other when Deco M9 plus works in router mode”, why am I and other experiencing that there is not any separation/isolation between main network and guest network. My M9 is set up as router but still it acts like this. I want my IOT devices outside my main network. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 8674

Replies: 28