Deco M5 keeps on losing internet intermittently

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-17 18:06:36

Hi,

I have been having issues with my M5 for last few months. The main unit connected to the router loses internet and then reconnects on its own.

Have latest firmware and have tried to reboot them but problem continues. Need help, please.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco M5 keeps on losing internet intermittently
2019-11-18 03:21:33

@Kam73 

1. What is the current network topology? How do you connect these devices together?

2. What about the stability of the front-end device when the main Deco stops working? With your computer connected to the modem directly, please check whether you can get internet and click here to get the IP address and default gateway. 

3. How often it loses connection? What is the light status of the Deco M5 at that point?

4. Try to configure the slave Deco as the main unit to verify whether it is the Deco itself or the front-end device or something else.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

5. Besides, who is your ISP?

Good day. 

Options
2019-11-20 00:17:09

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,

The Desktop PC is still connected with internet when the Deco stops working; PC is connected to the router with a LAN cable.

The Deco's light changes to red.

It happens on a daily basis and multiple times when the Deco disconnects.

Can you please advise?

Regards,

Dr Waqar

Options
2019-11-20 05:51:01

@Kam73 

How many Deco do you have in total and how do you connect them together? 

When the Deco stops working, can you get internet from the modem directly? If it is PPPoE connection, you can setup the broadband connection on your computer to test it. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/921/

And have you ever tried to swap the location of the slave Deco and main Deco? 

Is there any error message on the Deco app at that time? 

Options
2019-11-20 11:16:58

I saw the same problem after the latest firmware update. The internet via Deco M5 goes off and on. It took 3 days. Then it fixed. I didnt do anything to fix it. my several restart and fresh setup was unsuccessful. After 3 days, Deco M5 works well again. And no problem anymore.

Options
2019-11-21 01:21:00

@Kevin_Z 

I have 3 Decos. 1 is the master connected by LAN cable to the router, the other 2 are connected wirelessley with the master Deco.

As mentioned earlier, there is no problem with internet from the router as i can still connect on my desktop. No errors on the Deco app.

Options
2019-11-21 05:49:01

@Kam73 

Thanks for your reply. 

Cause the main router works fine when the main Deco shows red, have you ever tried to swap the location of the Deco? And what is the operation mode of it? 

Try to change another ethernet port and cable to connect the router and the main Deco. 

Besides, you can change the Deco to router mode first ( if it works in AP mode now) and clone the MAC address of your computer with wired cable connected to the main Deco. and then you can change it back to the AP mode to test its performance. 

Still the same, please tell us the model number of the main router, and your cloud account therefore we can do further analysis. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-11-21 05:49:33

@igotek 

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that it works well. 

Good day. 

Options
2021-01-27 18:30:04

I have same issues where internet-connected through ethernet cable works fine, but wifi intermittently drops on DECO units at least once or twice a day.

I have 5 units in all - 2 M9 plus and 3 M5. M9 plus is used in Router mode

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 9135

Replies: 8