Archer C9 and PPPOE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C9 and PPPOE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer C9 and PPPOE
Archer C9 and PPPOE
2019-11-17 18:11:46
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20190403 rel.63869(5553)

My Archer was bought on september, 9th, 2019, to replace my old TL-WR849N, that works flawlessly until today.
My service provider uses PPPOE.

The Archer C9 v5.1 worked very well for the first two months.
On november, 15th, 2019, conections problems started and I had to bring the old TL-WR849N back, and it's working very nicely.

Every time I try to put the Archer as my router the conection is VERY bad, but that does not happen with the TL-WR849N.

For my surprise, the problem seems to happen only when I use the Archer on PPPOE mode.

The Archer works perfectly on AP MODE and Dynamic IP MODE, both modes with the WAN port attached to the LAN port of the TL-WR849N.

I've tried to solve this, with no success, these ways:
Factory reset
Factory reset followed by a firmware DOWNGRADE and another factory reset

Factory reset followed by a firmware UPGRADE and another factory reset

Then I stated trying to disable funcions:
NAT boost, igmp, firewall, upnp, wifi, USB share, gigabit wan 

I even tried to put a network switch between the Archer and the provider cable, to use it as a "filter" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, but had the same problems when activating PPPOE.

I really would thank any new insight. This modem is a USA model and I don't think I'll have support here in Brazil.

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer C9 and PPPOE
2019-11-18 07:55:05

@devanirnf 

Please provide more specific symptoms of the connection problems, like the unstable connection or slow speed. 

What is the led status of the Archer C9 when the connection problem happened? 

And with your computer connected to the modem directly and setup the PPPoE connection on it, does it work properly? 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/921/ 

If it works well, try to connect it to the Archer C9 by wired cable and clone its MAC address under advanced-network-internet page. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Archer C9 and PPPOE
2019-11-18 10:59:53

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for your reply.

At first it seems the connection is ok. But when I start loading the 1st webpage it takes a lot of time to complete.

Speedtest site would not open or would fail the test.

The Internet led goes orange in about 5 minutes, then blue, the orange again after 5 minutes and so on.

My isp needs a specific registered Mac address to connect, the one from my 1st router, so I always have to change the Mac. Pppoe works fine on pc and on the other routers I've tested.

Besides pppoe, everything else seems to be working ok

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1328

Replies: 2

Related Articles