Smart Plug + tripped circuit = Notification?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-18 22:36:25
Model: HS105  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Living and breathing within the endless building codes of the US, it seems that all outlets in a basement are required to have an upstream GFCI outlet. That said, we have a freezer in the basement that's plugged into an outlet that is downstream from this GFCI. Every once is awhile, this GFCI trips and, as a result, the freezer shuts off...not good. I have a few dozen of these HS105 smart plugs and so I thought there might be a way to have the Kasa app "notify" me if/when one or more of these doohickys disappears (i.e., goes offline). Unless I'm mistaken, KASA just may be the first Android app that doesn't inundate you with useless notifications. Sadly, it doesn't appear as though notifying me of a smart plug being unavailable is one such (useful in my mind) option. Can anyone elaborate on this? Does KASA have the ability to do this? Are there other 3rd party apps that can do this (other than what I'm currently doing)? As it stands now, I have my FINGBOX email me when this plug "has left the network" or "has entered the network", but in a perfect world, it would be best if I didn't have to check my email to know this happens (i.e., the circuit tripped again).

Before the brotherhood of electrcial contractors chime in, yes, I'm fully aware what a GFCI is for and yes, I understand that trips can be or are the result of overpowering the circuit, a faulty device and/or a bad GFCI. For what it's worth, I've replaced the GFCI and I've used the H110 (whatever the power-monitoring plug is from TP-LINK) and nothing out of the ordinary is coming from the freezer (it appears to be working just fine). So, I consider the circuit and all that is plugged into it as being fine...all told, the circuit feeds a total of 6 single gang locations, starting with the GFCI and 5 other locations downstream from it. There are various other devices plugged into these locations...battery-powered hand vac, small (dorm room) refrigerator, etc.

In the end, it would be a WIN WIN if such a function existed within the app.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Smart Plug + tripped circuit = Notification?
2021-01-03 22:37:40

@CrazyHick did you find a solution here? I have a few different brands of smart plugs tied into alexa, kasa included, but haven't found a way to get a notification if my gfci trips. I'd love to do this! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1357

Replies: 1