Installed Deco P7 - wifi reach is fine but internet connection fluctuates, not stable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Installed Deco P7 - wifi reach is fine but internet connection fluctuates, not stable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-22 13:22:40
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 build 20190704 rel. 46693

Hi there,

ever since I've set up my mesh system Deco P7 the reach of wifi signal is optimal in all corners of the house. But the internet connection is not. This fluctuates and isn't constant. I've set up the Deco P7 as router, but the inernet connection is stable if I use the factory settings of the original router. Sometimes the internet connection peaks, another time it's all gone, no connection at all... This is not only during 'rush hours' but all day. I can't rely on the connection. And this issue started after installing the Deco system. Before I had a poor but stable connection, which I wanted to boost with this deco mesh system...

I've tried resetting all deco's to get them to change and use another channel. This changed the channel (ch. 8 first, now 3), but didn't make it better, either. I think that thas is the issue in my case: to much interference on the channels here. I have to find the best channel, but I can't change that in the app. Why?

What can I do to get this to work good and stable?

Can you help me, because right now I feel like I've bought something that doesn't work... 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Installed Deco P7 - wifi reach is fine but internet connection fluctuates, not stable
2019-11-22 17:46:48

@Curly Works great here. When I first installed it, the one on upstairs was randomly slowing/dropping the connection. Turned out it was on the same powerline with a "noisy" LED strip lamp, and when the lamp was turned on, Deco was losing powerline connection. I switched to another outlet and now it works great 7/24, no slowdowns whatsoever.

Options
Re:Installed Deco P7 - wifi reach is fine but internet connection fluctuates, not stable
2019-11-23 10:00:33

@Curly 

Sorry to tell you that the wireless channel cannot be customized manually, while we have noted that and forwarded to our product engineers. 

Back to your case, we can do some troubleshooting first to locate the issue so that we can try to fix it later. 

1. What is the current network diagram? How do you connect these devices together? 
2. What is the led status of the Deco P7 when you lost connection? How do you make it back to work after that?

3. At that time, with computer connected to the main Deco directly, can you access internet? Try to simplify the network diagram, in other word, connect the main Deco to the modem only and then connect your computer to the main Deco to verify whether it works well.

4. If still the same, please connect the computer to the modem, bypass the main Deco to test whether the network works. 
5. Besides, try to swap the Decos to verify whether it is the Deco itself or the network environment, and try to relocate them.

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-11-26 14:35:17

@Kevin_Z The Deco's are connected to each other. The one downstairs is connected to my router by utp. All the leds are green and the two upstairs even have a green led on the power plug. The powerplug led on the deco directly connected to the router downstairs is orange. 

The wifi receptions is always full bars. It's the internet connection that fluctuates and drops every now and then. I've tried a new setting now, everything is in bridge mode. So the router gives the signal and all the deco's send this throughout the house. But this signal is not stable. I've tried relocating the deco's. Even switched some from up to downstairs and resetting everything. 

It can be that I've got to many devices online, using all the data resource. It can be a foult in the deco mesh setup. It can be anything for I know...

I can't find if it's the providers fault or the deco setup. Only thing I know is that the trouble all started when I installed the deco mesh system...

Right now I'm trying to find out If I really need the mesh setup, and disconnected everything. Just to rule out some things. Trying to find out if it's the router and incomming data signals or if it's the deco system with all its extra's like internet security and childfriendly filters...

Any suggestions?

Options
2019-12-12 20:52:42

@Curly 

I’m having the same exact issue on my deco M5. Out of the 3 I have, it only happens to the one in the living room. When I swapped the bedroom unit with living room unit, it remained the same, meaning the bedroom unit that went to the living room stopped working fine. This proves it’s not the HW. I didn’t swap out the power though. Could the power cable have a role? A guy here mentioned he had a “noisy” line and changing the outlet worked for him

Options
2019-12-13 11:38:44

@Hashim I've just switched de deco setup from 'router' into 'Access point'. This doesn't give you the 'internet security' and 'parental guidance' but it also does not interfere with the internet data connection. I tried both and with de router settings the internet speed was about 10-20Mbits slower, but with 'the perks'... I think, in my case, that that's the problem - those 'extra's' like partental safety etc. When I tried the Access Point setting, all speed went up and doesn't fluctuate as much. And I've got the speed back. Now I'm looking for a new internet provider that can provide me with more speed, but I didn't knew that it would be this much of a hassle. Looking forward to a new update of TP-Link's firmware for these deco's. Because right now I'm not using them to it's full potentional. Now it's speed an stabiltiy without the perks that TP-Link have promised me... 

Options
2019-12-14 19:43:06

@Curly 

Going to try the same now, just switched to access point mode. Thanks for your feedback. Let’s synch up in a few days and share our experience to see if this is the actual solution. 

Options