Terrible speed unless I use two routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-24 11:42:06
Model: Archer C2600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.8 Build 20170306 Rel. 44838

Hi, this I wrote support about this and this is pretty much copy paste from the supportmail,but maybe you can help me faster

I bought this router called C2600 some time ago but its been working horribly bad so ive just been using my old router and leaving this one mostly as a backup instead of returning it as I should have.

Anyways, the problem is speed. Connected through wire I get approx 3-5mbits unless I put another router BETWEEN the c2600 and the incoming connection, then i can get up to speeds of 70mbits. Still not good as I can get up to 100-120mbits if connect computer directly to the incoming connection but acceptable (and this loss might be from the old router I suppose)

Also all wireless connections are very unstable, slow, faster, drops and so on
Using Wireless Analyzer gives me a quite spread result from -85 dBm (or none at all) to -65dBm when Im sitting at the same place. Channels are terrible 0 to 2 stars of 10 (mostly just a half star) even though I can see other networks having 6-8 stars on same channels. (there are 8 other networks close by so there should be enough "airspace")

So what is the problem? can I do something about it or should I just throw it away and never buy a TP-Link again?

Maybe there is some alternative firmware or something that I can use?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Terrible speed unless I use two routers
2019-11-24 22:16:34
When you put the router between routers is it wireless or wired? Check to see if your firmware is up to date ans if not update it. I would re-set to factory and re-enter the minumun settings on the C2600 and try again, Be sure to use good quality Ethernet cable between the modem and your C2600 router and that the connections are good. For the WIFI, first try auto settings for channel selection and if poor results, select specific channels and widths.
Options
2019-11-25 08:02:29

@Grw 

What is the current network diagram? How do you connect them together? 

Who is your ISP and what is the bandwidth you paid? 

With computer connected to the C2600 directly by cable, please test the speed you can get and click here to get the wired negotiation speed. 

Note: The steps are the same, but you need click on ethernet connection. 

And what is the operation mode of the C2600? Have you ever tried to change the wireless channel and channel width to improve its performance?

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-11-25 17:33:46

@Kevin_Z 

Current network is: wallconnection -cable- C2600 -cable- PC And ofcourse some phones/tv etc connected to Archer on Wlan. This is the slow connection, 3-5mbits or so, but faster response time approx 15ms

The ordinary network is: Wallconnection -cable- Dlink router - cable - c2600-cable -pc and ofcourse all the things connected through wlan. This is the faster connection, 70mbits but slightly slower respons time approx 20-25ms. And ofcourse everything connected through wlan. 

ISP is Bredband2 and the bandwith is 100mbit

PC directly to c2600 by cable according to the test you linked to is 1.0Bbps

Not sure what you mean with operation mode, I have tried setting the channels manually and tried some diffrent channel width according to some suggestions found googling the issue and have used an app called "Wifi-Analyzer" to try to find the best channels

And in reply to ArcherC8

Firmware is up to date, I have tried to reset to factory but I am not sure what you mean with minimum settings, I have tried diffrent cables between the wall connector and the c2600 with exactly the same result 

Thank you both for taking the time to answer me and come with suggestions. Hopefully you might be able to help me solve this

Options
2019-11-27 06:45:46

@Grw 

Do you misspell it? --  PC directly to c2600 by cable according to the test you linked to is 1.0Bbps. Is it 1.0Gbps? 

You can try to change the Archer C2600 to access point mode and connect it to the D-Link router to boost the wifi signal; and compared with router mode, there won't be double NAT issue and you can check the latency, it should be better. 

Below is the instruction to configure it as the access point mode. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-c2600/#video 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1199/

Still the same, you can contact the retailer or local tech support to verify whether a replacement is qualified. 

May it help. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-11-27 10:55:48

@Kevin_Z 

Oh yes, it should ofcourse be 1.0Gbps and nothing else

I cant see the purpose of using it as an AP, isnt that basicly a way to use one router as an range extender?  

I dont want to use the old D-link at all, its quite old and not very good which were the reason for buying the C2600.

I might be able to get the wifi to work acceptable once i get the speed up on cable.

I cant for the life of me understand how this issue is even possible, why is the cablespeed higher when I add more equipment, it defies all logic for me. Its like having a car that can only drive 30km/h unless I tow another car behind it which would make the car much faster even though logic says it should be the other way around. I dont even know how to google the issue, in my head its just wierd but ofcourse, i dont know much about networks

I should have returned it long ago while i still had a receipt, But I had no patience and little time to spare at that time with a newborn beeing the priority. I doubt I will get a replacement now, probably been a year since i bought it and no receipt to prove it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1004

Replies: 5

Related Articles