Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-26 09:26:10 - last edited 2020-04-02 02:05:50
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20190917 Rel. 71168

Hi,

I purchased the Deco P9 yesterday and installed them on my Network, I currently have a Virgin Media 1000mbs package.

I put the Virgin Super Hub into Modem Mode and connected the first P9 up, it connected smoothly, from there I plugged in another ethernet cable and ran it through the ceiling to my troublesome room, I then powered on my next P9 and plugged the ethernet into it. 

I then went and connected another P9 via WiFi rather than Ethernet. 

I was then able to create a router mode network, all worked fine for roughly an hour, all families member came home and I mimicked the original SSID and Password so devices were auto-connecting. 

I then shut down my laptop and left the house for one hour, when I came back, my phone (Samsung S10, which left the network) wouldn't stay connected to the network, it would load 1 page and then would say "Unable to connect to the internet". I booted up my laptop and this was having the same issue, it would connect but would drop internet connectivity. 

The internet however was working okay for others in the household, they we're streaming (hard wired via P9) and also using WiFi surfing the internet on their Laptop too. 

The only resolution I had was to reset each Deco, put my modem into Router mode and the Deco's into Access Point mode, from here I was able to connect.

However, this morning a family member complained of not being able to access the internet from their bedroom (directly above the hardwired P9), I did a speedtest in there when I was running in Router mode and I was getting 200mbs on consecutive attempts, so later on today I will run check the connectivity in that room.

Has anyone ran into any of the above issues? I'm close to sending my P9's back as I only received them yesterday and they've actually increased the problems in my network rather than solved them! 

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection-Solution
2020-04-02 02:05:44 - last edited 2020-04-02 02:05:50

@Peter__C 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused here. We can do some troubleshooting to locate it if you have not returned it to Amazon. 

For those who have the same issue, please help to get the details below: 

1. The current network diagram. And the operation mode of the Deco.

2. The led status of Deco when it stops working. And whether you can access internet from the modem when Deco stops working. 

3. Try to swap the location of the Deco units and you can switch the slave Deco to the main Deco to give it a shot. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

4. You can assign a static IP for the clients or reserve an IP address on the Deco app. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1795/

5. Please ensure that the firmware is up to date.

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
77 Reply
Re:Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection
2019-11-26 10:29:58 - last edited 2019-11-26 10:30:32

@JR4 

Same problem for me. I'm having similar issues. Internet connection just stop working but only on http(s) protocol. My google home mini is working without problem.

Also, doing a ping test on google, everything seams to work. So i would narrow it down to some sort of dns problem?

I have the latest firmware version installed a few days ago.

Later edit: i have a deco m4 with 2 units.

Options
2019-11-26 21:29:53

@JR4 

Im having the exact same issues. My ISP router is in bridge mode. My network is as follow:

ISP Router (Bridge)  ------Ethernet cable -------- Deco P9 (Router mode) --------------- Wifi ------------------ Deco P9 (A)--------------- Wifi ------------------ Deco P9 (B)

House of 90m2

My PC is conected via cable to Deco P9(A) and i have no issues but the network speed is almost 250mbits of 600mb maximum from my ISP. Apart from that in my house there are 5 more devices.

Redmi 4x - No problem with wifi

Redmi 4 - No problem with wifi

Amazon Fire Stick- No problem with wifi

Huawei - Wifi dropping almost every 10 minutes and saying no internet conection.

Amazon fire HD7 - Wifi dropping almost every 10 minutes and saying no internet conection.

No matter what I do. Forgetting WIFI, changing names, shut off Deco (B)... some devices are unable to have a stable connection.

Firmware fault or hardware fault? 

Anyway...its dificult to diagnose with that childish and lack of features interface of the APP....

Options
2019-11-27 03:24:45

@JR4 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, we will do some troubleshooting and try to fix it. 

1. What is the current network topology? How do you connect these devices together? Like modem--main Deco--slave Deco A )))((( slave Deco B? And what is the current operation mode of Deco? 

2. Can you get internet from main Deco by wired cable/wirelessly when the samsung smart phone/laptop failed to get internet?What about the stability of the front-end device when the P9 stops working? With your computer connected to the modem directly, what is the IP address and default gateway? Below is the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/

3. How often it loses connection? What is the light status of the Deco P9 at that point?

4. How do you make it back to work? Like reboot it or it will work automatically in few minutes?

5. Have you ever tried to configure the slave Deco as the main unit to do a comparison test? Instruction as below: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

6. Besides, try to swap the locations of the Decos and verify with main Deco connected to the modem only, does network connection become more stable?

Good day. 

Options
2019-11-27 03:31:32

@NDN 

How many Deco do you have? Are they are Deco M4? 

So the internet connection just stop working on http(s) protocol only, other wireless devices still work properly? 

Try to change the DNS server on the Deco app under More-advanced-IPV4 page to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4. 

Besides, you can change another device or web browser to access the websites to verify whether it works well. 

May it help. 

Options
2019-11-27 03:44:08

@Robincete 

From your description, the Amazon fire HD7 and the Huawei drops wifi connection every 10 minutes but other devices work properly, we can do some troubleshooting to verify whether it is the Deco or the client itself and try to fix it. 

Are they still connected to the Deco's wifi but no internet connection or they lose wireless connection totally? If it is the former, please click here to get the IP address and gateway of it at that time and verify which Deco it has been connected via Deco app and get the IP address of the specific Deco. 

And try to ping the IP of the Deco connected and show us the result; if it is the slave Deco, try to ping the LAN IP of the main Deco and 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 separately and show us the results. 

Try to swap the location of the Decos or change the slave Deco to the main Deco to give it a go. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

May it help. 

Options
2019-11-27 07:52:42

@Kevin_Z 

i have 2 units of deco m4.

No, nothing works on wifi. 

I use Chrome but i tested also with firefox. 

The problem is present no metter the device or operating sistem (windows, android os, linux)

Deco is in wifi only mode and it is connected with a cable to the main router.

Connecting a cable to the router the net connection is active and working.

After restarting both units the internet connection was back.

Options
2019-11-27 15:02:15

@Kevin_Z 

Hi kevin.

Sorry for misunderstanding.

I mean, wifi is connected always, but the device lose internet.

In fact, in all house, wifi signal is excelent so mesh system is working.

For example, im watching youtube or netflix and even with wifi connected and signal excelent, video stop streaming in these devices. 

Switching off wifi and switching on again,fix for another 10 or 15 minutes.

Options
2019-11-28 01:49:44

@Robincete 

Thanks for your clarification. 

Except the streaming services, what about other network activities? Like browsing or downloading? 

When video stops streaming, can other devices get internet from the Deco? 

Try to setup the QoS on the Deco app and give streaming high priority. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1601/

Besides, you can reserve an IP address for the streaming devices on the Deco to give it a go. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1795/

May it help. 

Options
2019-11-28 01:55:05

@NDN 

Thanks for your reply, we may need more information to locate this issue and try to fix it. 

1. What is the current network diagram? How do you connect these devices together? 

2. What is the led status of the Deco when wifi stops working and can you get internet from the main Deco by wired cable?

3. Have you ever tried to change the DNS server or swap the location between the Deco nodes? 

Any updates, please let us know. 

Options
2019-11-28 07:44:59

@JR4 

Actualy i discovered that deco was in router mode...

I already have a router for vpn connection with an office.

Problem is fixed after switching to access point mode.

Thank you for your help!

Options

Information

Helpful: 8

Views: 33913

Replies: 77

Related Articles