Own password for repeater network (RE650)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-26 19:34:38

Hi,

I got the RE650 repeater today and I wonder why I can't assign my own password for my new repeater WLAN network. It is mandatory to set the password of the source network. I can change the name of the SSID, but what is the point of this? This is exactly why I want to change the network according to my ideas. I don't understand the logic behind it ;-). Please let it be possible (otherwise the device will unfortunately go back to Amazon today...).

Cheers!

Best regards, Klaus

Options
3 Reply
Re:Own password for repeater network (RE650)
2019-11-27 09:19:39

@Klaus123 

Hello, the wifi password of the extender must be the same as the host wifi password.

You can regard the extender as a computer, in order to connect it to the host wifi, you need use its own password.

If you want to setup a specific password, you can configure it as an access point. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1401/ 

Or you can order the powerline adapter with wifi function to boost the wifi signal with customized wifi password.

May it help.

Options
2019-11-27 10:51:18

Dear @Kevin_Z ,

thank you very much for the answer! I am actually looking for a router while travelling, e.g. in a holiday flat or in a hotel. WIFIs are always available, but I want to enter this only once with the WIFI access data and then supply all devices (Kindle, Smartphones, Notebooks, Smartwatches, bicycle computers, coffee machines of my wife and toys of the children ;-)).

Of course, this is easiest if the SSID and the PW don't change and the devices are connected to the own WIFI. An operation as an access point is not possible, because there is often no cable connection in the hotels or in the holiday flats.

With my Netgear 810 I can extend a WIFI as a new WIFI (own SSID and password), but I am looking for a more powerful device. The RE650 is quite good here, but unfortunately I have to change every password, which I don't really want. Anyway, I will continue with the Netgear first, maybe there will be such a device in the future.

Many thanks again!

Best regards, Klaus

Options
2019-11-28 03:15:24

@Klaus123 

I see, thanks for your reply. 

You can use the previous extender to broadcast a new wifi network with new password. 

If need more help, just let us know. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2224

Replies: 3

Related Articles