Deco M9 suddenly dropped to horrible slow speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-02 21:09:12 - last edited 2019-12-02 22:41:49
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.9.13

Hi!

I tried the Hotline form, but it will not let me send a question, so I turn to the forums.

My ISP (Ziggo) should give me 250Mbps. The modem is in bridge mode and my main Deco is connected to it by ethernet cable. For no particular reason, the Deco is unable to give me downspeeds of on average 15Mbps now (at some tests it gave me 50, but other times it dropped to 2). I have tried all trouble shooting stuff. I have restarted the dveices, I've tested the speed directly through the modem (that gives me the 250) and I have tried to connect my laptop directly to the main Deco by ethernet as well, but wheter it is wifi or cable, the speeds from the Deco remains terrible. (disabling the other Deco's in the mesh didn't change anything either). What the hell am I supposed to do know? I've spend a huge amount on these devices and have slowly been smartening my home with Philips hue lights, Google hubs, smart doorbells, etc, but with this extremely slow connection, it all falls apart.

Please TP Link, help me out here!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M9 suddenly dropped to horrible slow speed
2019-12-03 03:22:05

@Soundwave070 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused here. We will do some troubleshooting and try to fix it. 

How many Deco M9 plus do you have? And how do you connect them together? 

Please connect them like A: PC-- modem; B: PC--main Deco--modem, to test the actual speed you can get from the modem/main Deco separately? And please click here to check the wired negotiation speed.
Note: The steps are the same, while you need right click on local area connection or ethernet connection.  

Besides, please try to run a speed test via the Deco app and show us the results. 

With your computer or cellphone connected to the slave Deco only, please run the speed test for 3 times and show us the test results; Furthermore, please connect your computer to the slave Deco by ethernet cable to verify the wired speed.

Try to change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4; and setup application QoS as standard and clear the high priority rules. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1855/

After that, please run the speed test again and check whether it work.

Have a great day.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-12-04 21:17:14

@Kevin_Z 

Ok here we go

I have a 2 floor home after climbing one stairs from the entrance door:

In the living room, right next to the modem, I have a main deco connected through a short but good quality wire (I’ve checked multiple wires to rule this out) to that modem which is in Bridge mode.

A mediabox from Ziggo is connected to the main deco as well to get wired data.

In the same living room I have another deco (slave 1) only 6 meters away from it, but without that slave, my Nest Hello doorbell downstairs couldn’t get a good enough signal. To this valve I have also connected a Philips Hue bridge to use multiple Hue lights throughout the house. On the same floor but all the way in the back of my house I have a dining room Deco (slave 2) to expand the network to the upstairs balcony on the top floor. I have an Apple Airport Timecapsule connected to this slave to run automatic backups. My house also has 2 google hubs and a Nest thermostat (in case this is relevant to know)

I have done the tests you’ve asked me to do and these are the results:

By the way, my ISP contract says I should get 250Mbps down and 25 up.

Wired laptop directly to modem I reach 250Mbps down and 25Mbps up (Ookla speedtest)

The link speed my laptop (MacBook Pro) tells me it has when wired to the main Deco is 1Gbit/s and when using wifi it says 300Mbit/s

When I wire my laptop to the main Deco and run the speedtest from Ookla I get only 6Mbps down and 25 up

After this I did multiple tests with the deco app while making sure my phone was connected to each deco separately

wifi main deco test 1: 20 down 25 up

wifi main deco test 2: 4.4 down 25 up

wifi main deco test 3: 7.5 down 25 up

wifi slave 1 test 1: 4 down 25 up

wifi slave 1 test 2: 8 down 25 up

wifi slave 1 test 3: 98 Mbps 25 up <- only fairly decent result

wifi slave 2 test 1: 9.5 down 25 up

wifi slave 2 test 2 16 down 25 up

wifi slave 2 test 3: 10 down 25 up

I’ve also tried to see what happens when I turn of my hue bridge, nest hello and Timecapsule

Ookla results after that was 3 down and 25 up

Deco app said (after 3 tries: 23, 1.7 and 5.5

So that didn’t help either and neither did changing the DNS servers and clearing the QoS and high priority stuff.

Options
2019-12-10 09:29:27

@Kevin_Z I'm still having trouble, could you please respond to my last post?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1281

Replies: 3

Related Articles