speed slows down after a few hours and firmware unable to upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-03 04:09:46 - last edited 2019-12-03 04:22:23
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20190411 rel.52981

My isp(Unifi) promises 800mbps using wired connection. My speedtest shows 700-750 mbps which is good enough for me but after a few hours the speedtest can only go up to 250mbps and just stay at that level almost like it is being capped/throttled. It will only go back up to 700++mbps once i turn the router on and off which only lasts for a few hours and then its back to being limited to 250mbps. I checked with unifi technicians and they check their side and informed me that there is no fault from their side. They also tried using their own router and changed the modem to a new one without problems and concluded that the problem is with my tp-link router. I have contacted tp-link about this issue and they emailed me a firmware to fix this problem but when i tried to upgrade the firmware from settings, it shows a message "unable to upgrade". What do i do next? How do i upgrade to this firmware? Should i request an RMA? Please advise.

Options
3 Reply
Re:speed slows down after a few hours and firmware unable to upgrade
2019-12-04 03:39:06

@GhostBird 

Please unzip it and upload the bin file to update the firmware. 

And the most important is that please check the version of the firmware provided by the support, is it EU version or US version?

Your current firmware is EU version, if the firmware provided is US version, that may not work. 

Any updates, please let me know. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-12-04 04:03:54

@Kevin_Z i did unzip it and the file i received is EU version. Still, when i tried to upgrade, there is a message saying "unable to upgrade"

Options
2020-04-07 18:57:24
I read an older similar thread and tried updating firmware to OpenWRT. Ended up bricking my router. Restored Archer C7 firmware. Only functional setting change to factory settings was I disabled SPI Firewall. Now it has been running for 3 days, it wouldn't make it 12 hours previously, and even after the fresh install of latest stock firmware, so the SPI Firewall has definitely improved things. I'm happy now, holding right with hardwired connection at ~ 250 Mbps.
Options