Web interface timeout on tp-link devices

Web interface timeout on tp-link devices

28 Reply
Re:Web interface timeout on tp-link devices
2022-07-23 00:35:24

@helzayat1 

Add my voice to the list of people who think a timeout is important but that it needs to be configurable much longer than the current short default.  I am tired of having to login to the router so often.

Options
2022-11-04 16:50:35

@Kevin_Z 

I realize the importance of a timeout. Yet, I too want to voice the opinion that this should be controllable through the web interface. I am debugging a networking issue and I keep needing to log back into the router, which is rather annoying.

Router: Archer AX55

Options
2022-12-20 04:57:31

@Kevin_Z

Thurdy wrote

@Kevin_Z 

I realize the importance of a timeout. Yet, I too want to voice the opinion that this should be controllable through the web interface. I am debugging a networking issue and I keep needing to log back into the router, which is rather annoying.

Router: Archer AX55

As a member of the Information Security Community, your customers should have the right to determine the level of risk that is acceptable to them. TP-Link should provide settings, tools, and configurations to make your devices secure and not force your security standards on us.

For me, I just got this AX75. I've been trying different setting and running tests. By the time I'm done with the test or need to make changes, I have to login again. Tonight alone I've had to login over 10 times. It is frustrating. 

Please add me to the list with others. Thank you.

Options
2023-06-19 13:53:47

my use case is to login to the router and perform some configuration.

Sometimes I need to check some information on the internet and when I come back I need to login again.

Firefox will not save the password correctly (why), so I need to type in the password manually.

Please let me decide how long I want to be logged in.

My devices are several ER605.

Options
2023-08-01 15:45:57

Looks like it falls on deaf ears and usability does not matter as long as the devs get it their way. As pathetic as Google telling people which VPN is too unsecure to use or Apple limiting their customers on how they can use the products. It is like a car manufacturer limiting the top speed to 25 mph because that is considered safer than going 100 mph... idiotic right? YES....

There are plenty of users out there who know what they are doing, so companies like these need to stop pretending that they are the saviors of the universe by patronizing their customers. 

Options
2023-09-21 22:34:30

Chris O'Malley !   People asking for this simple feature since 2019, its Q3 2023.

Why?  Its 3 min I guess, constantly have to remember to hit refresh.
1. You are defeating the security by keeping me from entering persistant hacker IP addresses from China, Russia, Panama as they attack because it is SUCH A DRAG.

2. Setting up the router with port forwards and NAT's I can't even get up to get a cup of coffee without logging back in.

You are defeating the security again, because a lot of lazy admins will save the router password in the browser to make it easier, then forget to delete the saved password.

At a minimum 30 minutes should be allowed, and still offer primo security by giving the admins a break.

We just started selling these over flaky NetGear's and I'm seriously thinking of going shopping again.

PLEASE consider extending the timeout.

Options
2023-10-11 00:36:50

@helzayat1   And, here we are.  1.5 years since the last entry in this thread and still NOTHING has been done to change the way the arbitrary timeout time is handled.  There are two pages of comments from people saying PLEASE REMOVE THE TIMEOUT or MAKE IT USER CONFIGURABLE.  Please!  And there is not a single comment supporting the arbitrary timeout time being left as it is.  So, when do we fix this?  A good time is NOW.  It seems like it would be about an hour's worth of coding and then a bit of regression testing.  Let's do this!

Most of these switches are installed in home environments as these switches are not suitable for a corporate IT infrastructure.  We know how to lock our doors.  We know how to put the paper down on the toilet before using it.  We are all fully able to handle our own safety and security.  Thanks for wanting to mommy for us but we're  all good.  We just need TP-Link to get out of the way so we may be more productive by not getting in our way so we don't lose configurations we were working on before timing out.

There is nothing more aggravating than changing some configurations, hitting save, and seeing the login screen.

Please change this now!  Enough delays.

Options
2023-10-11 00:38:20
I'm ready to pick up a low-end Cisco.
Options
2023-10-16 23:53:42

Actually the timeout makes the router LESS SECURE because it is necessary to repeatedly enter the login credentials over and over.  Anyone able to observe the login will be able to determine the credentials.  Observing once may not get the complete credential, but multiple observations increase that probability.  The repeated logins cause the user to become less careful with the login because it must be used so frequently.  One way is to simpify the PW and another is to write it down on the monitor to remember it.  When the PW is used infrequently, it can be a more complex PW, maybe even random letters and numbers.  When used repeatedly every five minutes, it must be simplified, e.g. "ababab7$".  Your demand to control my access is making my router MUCH LESS SECURE than it would be if you let me leave it logged in for a longer period of time.  Since I'm the only one accessing the system there is ZERO probability of a compromise.  I know that, but YOU DON'T know that because you're not in my situation and I won't provide you that information since it would reduce my security.

It really is time for TPlink to grow up and fix this problem.

Options
2023-11-20 01:50:43

Hi TP-Link
Please add me to this Web-interface timeout request.
I also find that I have to re login many times...
A muuuch longer timeout would be great.
Configurable (to 30 or up to 60 mins would be great).
Please...

Options
Related Articles