Deco M5 wi-fi speed issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-08 19:16:29
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just installed the system. Experiencing wifi speed issues. Wired to main deco - 150mbps, wireless within 3ft from the main deco - 70mbps.

I did a thural test using my laptop and a speed test of my internet service provider website (http://speedtest.cannettel.com/). I used exactly the same set-up for wireless and wired tests. Three measurements for each condition. All three wired test measurements showed approx 150mbps speed. All three wireless test measurements approx. 70mbps.
I run a quick wireless test on my phone and got something similar, but less consistent (20-60mbps). The Deco M5 anti-virus was turned off in order to eliminate possibilities of it slowing the wifi down. A couple of quick tests using DECO app wi-fi speed test feature - also showed the same results (apprx. 70mbps).
I run another test - enabled wi-fi on my modem (Hitron - CGN3). Both phone and laptop measured 150mbps when connected to the modems wifi network. Any ideas of what can be causing the issue? Otherwise, I will have to return the system.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M5 wi-fi speed issue
2019-12-09 05:36:45

@pashtet 

Thanks for your requesting, we can do some troubleshooting to narrow it down and try to fix it. 

1. What is the current network diagram? How do you connect these devices together? 

2. With computer connected to the Deco by wired cable/wireless, please click here to get the wired/wireless negotiation speed. 

Note: Steps are the same for wired negotiation speed, except you need click ethernet connection. 

3. Please show us a screenshot of the speedtest result on the Deco app.

4. Try to swap the location of the Deco units, or you can configure the slave Deco as the main Deco to give it a go. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

May it help. 

Options
2019-12-10 01:13:16 - last edited 2019-12-10 01:14:22

@Kevin_Z 

Please see my answers below:

1. My case is very simple. Coaxial cable ->Modem Hitron CGN3U -> main Deco M5 -> laptop or phone 

2. Wired to main Deco - 1.0Gbps; Wireless - 150Mbps (See attached screenshots)

3. See attached

4. Tried, the same speed loss issue observed. I also tried turning off 2.4G, but it did not help (see screenshots)

Options
2019-12-10 11:49:51

@pashtet 

Thanks for your valued reply. 

Please simplify the network diagram to test the speed,with coaxiable cable--modem--main Deco--PC connected only, please run the speed test on the PC and show us the results.

Please setup application QoS to standard and remove all the high priority items. 

Try to reboot the main Deco and test the internet speed via the Deco app again. 

Besides, please tell us your cloud account privately via direct message. 

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
2020-05-10 08:11:59

Hi community

I´m experiencing even worse situation from the ones I´ve read above.

It has been installed past monday by my internet provider the Deco M5

From my main router I can get the speed as per contract 200 Mbps download and 20-30 Mbps upload (see pic below).

3 Deco devices distributed by 3 home floors and main Deco device connected via cable to router on top floor.

Main Deco only gives a speed of 0,3 Mbps download and 0,3 Mbps upload ( see pic below ). Of course the other 2 have even lower values than these ones.

2 times the technicians were called to fix the issue but no improvements were achieved and I'm sure these are not acceptable values. I want to belive that it was lack of knowledge by technicians that couldn´t solve the issue but for sure there might be a good reason for it and a solutiuons to have it working on acceptable level.

Much appreciate if I can get some support on this

#StaySafe

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1727

Replies: 4

Related Articles