Maiking a Slave Deco the Main Deco - Why?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-12 07:24:42 - last edited 2019-12-16 06:44:54
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: (purchased/own but haven't installed yet)

[I own but have not yet opened or installed, a Deco M4 system.]

A TP-Link FAQ for the Deco units states, "For some reason, if you want to change the slave Deco to work as the Main Deco but do not want to reset the whole Deco network and reconfigure it, you can refer to the following instruction to finish the setup process."

The instructions certainly go on to tell you how to do it, but what would "some reason" be?  Is there some advantage to making a slave Deco the Main Deco?  Would it get a stronger signal if it was designated the Main Deco?  I ask because when I install my system in a few days, the Main Deco will start off next to my modem, in a room where I don't require a good WiFi signal.  The place where I'll place one of the two Deco "slaves" is at the end of my house where there are several WiFi devices that would benefit from a better signal.  Obviously I'm just wondering what the benefit of changing the designations would be, if any (and I'd have to suppose there would be one or two, or why is this available to do, right?).

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Maiking a Slave Deco the Main Deco - Why?-Solution
2019-12-13 02:36:38 - last edited 2019-12-16 06:44:54

@DroMike 

It can be that the end users just want to swap the location of the main Deco and slave Deco; or the current network diagram may have some problem, like unstability or slow speed; changing slave Deco to main Deco is a troubleshooting method to narrow down the issue-- whether it is the Deco itself or the actual network environment. 

The actual performance is related to the network environment, including the modem, distance, obstacles and interferences. Changing slave Deco simply won't strenghthen the wifi signal. Please notice that there is no other factors changed, except the location of slave/main Deco. 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Maiking a Slave Deco the Main Deco - Why?-Solution
2019-12-13 02:36:38 - last edited 2019-12-16 06:44:54

@DroMike 

It can be that the end users just want to swap the location of the main Deco and slave Deco; or the current network diagram may have some problem, like unstability or slow speed; changing slave Deco to main Deco is a troubleshooting method to narrow down the issue-- whether it is the Deco itself or the actual network environment. 

The actual performance is related to the network environment, including the modem, distance, obstacles and interferences. Changing slave Deco simply won't strenghthen the wifi signal. Please notice that there is no other factors changed, except the location of slave/main Deco. 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Maiking a Slave Deco the Main Deco - Why?
2019-12-13 02:49:08

OK - thanks Kevin. - Mike

Options
Re:Maiking a Slave Deco the Main Deco - Why?
2019-12-16 06:44:46

@DroMike 

You are welcome. It is glad to help you. 

If need more help in the future, do not hesitate to contact us. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1298

Replies: 3