Archer C4000 not recognizing wired connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-14 00:30:55 - last edited 2020-12-18 19:26:11
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20190827 rel.78773(5553)

For some reason, the router is no longer recognizing wired connections.  Wi-Fi connections work fine.  I've attempted rebooting and reinitializing the router, as well as updating the firmware.  I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting ethernet cables and restarting wired devices.

This problem began suddenly, unexpectedly, and is affecting a PC, Xbox One X, Samsung Smart TV Series 6, PoE Switch, Raspberry Pi 3B+ and EoP adapter.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and discovered a fix or should I RMA the unit?

Edit: The problem seemed to have corrected itself.  I disconnected power and left it off for 2 days.  When powered back on Ethernet worked as expected and the problem has not reocurred since the time of the original post.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Archer C4000 not recognizing wired connections
2019-12-18 03:01:31

@desi76 

With computer plugged into the ethernet port, does the corresponding ethernet LED come on? And can it obtain valid IP address and gateway? Below is the instruction to get them: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/ 

Try to connect LAN 1 port to LAN 2 port with the same ethernet cable and verify whether the two ethernet LEDs come on. 

And you can change another device or another ethernet cable/port to give it a go. 

Still the same, try to reset the router by holding the reset hole for 10s and reconfigure it to give it a go. 

Good day. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-02-15 05:54:58

@Kevin_Z Sorry for the late reply.  I've edited the original post with an update.

Options
2020-06-26 11:11:28

@desi76 exact same issue on my C4000. Only a reboot of the router worked. My windows laptop obtained an APIPA address and all other wired clients were not reachable. including my headless server.

All wireless clients were fine.

Unforuntely there is nothing in the router system log as it is not verbose. Seems to be an issue either the switch or DHCP itself, not sure. First time i experieced this. Router has been going strong for 1 year + now. 

Options
2020-12-08 17:02:44

@desi76

I can confirm this exact same thing!

Bought the AC4000 1 week ago and it was fine for the first few days, but now continues to drop ALL Ethernet connections. 
Only way to restore Ethernet access is to reboot router. 
I have performed a firmware update for V3

to Archer C4000(US)V3_20191026_rel.13901.bin 

and it did not change a thing!

Can someone please advise?!?

I was replacing a TP-Link AC 1700 which never had these problems!

Options
2020-12-09 03:23:21

@Voyager99 

Have you tried all my previous suggestions provided to desi76? What is the IP address when there is no internet access on the device that is connected to the C4000 LAN?

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-12-09 03:51:33

@Kevin_Z 

Hello Kevin, appreciate your response.

In my case all 4 LAN ports on the router are in use.

Port #1 feeds a switch that feeds my Mac and on occasion a Raspberry Pi

or other single board computer.

Port #2 Feeds a PC running Linux.

Port #3 Feeds a printer.

Port #4 Feeds another switch.

These problems only became apparent when the LAN ports were 

simultaneously ALL in use.

When the LAN ports do drop their connections, none of the ports

feeding the computers work.

I cannot ping the router at 192.168.0.1 and the IP address on my Mac

changes to an auto-configuration number of 169.*.*.*

The Wifi connections remain unaffected however (they always work)!

Yes, I have tried resetting the router by using a paper-clip to hold the reset

button for 10 seconds and then reconfiguring the wireless settings.

I discovered today that when this happens, a reboot of the C4000 is NOT required, but

only unplugging and reconnecting all 4 of the ethernet cables and my network

is once again restored!

Even though the connection can be restored, if the router continues dropping

wired connections randomly like this, then the router is of no use to me given

I will be using the LAN ports frequently.

Can you provide any insight as to why disconnecting and reconnecting the

ethernet cables would restore the connections?

Thanks.

Danny

Options
2020-12-09 08:55:40

@Voyager99 

Hi Danny, thanks for getting back with all the details.

Just to confirm, how is the network layout? Is it a cable or fiber modem plugged into the WAN port of the C4000? Do you mean the LAN will work without an issue if you connect only 3 or 2 wired connections to the C4000? Will it make a difference which device is disconnect? Anyone disconnects from the C4000 LAN will make the other connections stable?

May I know how many devices connected to the C4000 network in total, including those connected via the two switches?

Options
2020-12-09 19:14:45

@Kevin_Z 

Hello Kevin:

So, yes, the C4000 is attached to a Technicolor Model TC4350 cable modem via the WAN port.

And yes, I use a switch (a D-Link DGS-108 8-port gigabit switch) to feed other computers, but no more

than 4 direct connections at a time (3 computers and 1 printer).

At any one time there may be 8 to 10 devices connected in total LAN and wireless

(phones, tablets, TV's, etc), but that should not make a difference right?

I was using a TP-Link Archer C7 (AC 1750) before I purchased the Archer C4000

and I never experienced random disconnects like this.

Actually, I am now using the Archer C7 again, because I disconnected the C4000

given it was so unstable.

Sorry, but I cannot continue to use a device that disconnects this way.

I purchased the C4000 to get better WiFi coverage in my home and it did do

that very well, but the random LAN disconnections were not acceptable.

I did not check if only removing 1 or more cables from the LAN ports resolved the network

problem, sorry.

I have stopped using the C4000.

So, at this point, given I do not have unlimited time to continue to diagnose these problems,

can I pleased request an RMA number for this device?

I was originally going to purchase the TP-Link WiFi 6 AX6000, but the cyber Monday

sale is no longer available in my region!

Please advise.

Thank you.

Danny

Options
2020-12-10 02:10:48

@Voyager99 

Sorry to hear that. If you want to replace it first, yes, you can do that, please contact the local tech support to confirm the warranty, they will help you with that:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Options
2020-12-16 17:52:50

@Kevin_Z 

Update:

I have reinstalled the C4000 and assigned static internal IP addresses to each of the

devices connected using IP & MAC binding.

So far the C4000 has been stable (no more disconnects) on LAN or WiFI!

It is an excellent router, so I will keep using it for now and keep my fingers crossed!

Kevin_Z wrote

@Voyager99 

Sorry to hear that. If you want to replace it first, yes, you can do that, please contact the local tech support to confirm the warranty, they will help you with that:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3561

Replies: 11

Related Articles