Step by step guide for setting up Deco M5 with Sky Hub 3.0 [ER115]

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-15 19:09:21 - last edited 2019-12-18 02:18:24

Hi guys, I've had wifi issues in my home for a long while now and I'm thinking of buying the TP-Link Deco M5 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System to extend my coverage to all the rooms.

I'm a Sky broadband customer (UK), and I have both the Sky Hub 3.0 (Model ER115) and the Sky Hub 2 (Model SR102). The Deco M5 seems like a great option and the most affordable one, though it's still a lot of money to spend so I wonder if someone can clarify whether these routers will support the setup? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting posts from other users online, if not complicated.

I'm not the most knowledgable in this area at all so would really appreciate some guidance on if it's fine and, if not, whether I should look at other TP solutions.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Step by step guide for setting up Deco M5 with Sky Hub 3.0 [ER115]-Solution
2019-12-17 02:31:16 - last edited 2019-12-18 02:18:24

@shahjrahman 

Do you want to keep the Sky routers? If so, you can configure the Deco M5 as the access point to boost the wifi signal, and avoid double NAT issue. 

Or you can change the Sky router to bridge mode and setup Deco M5 as the main router, while as far as I know, sky may provide SKY MER with Dynamic IP connection type which is not supported by the Deco M5 yet, so you can configure the sky router as the original router but disable the wifi function and configure the Deco as the main router to enjoy the mesh network and advanced features. 

It is hard to say which operation mode is better; it is more related to the network request and the network environment. 

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Step by step guide for setting up Deco M5 with Sky Hub 3.0 [ER115]
2019-12-16 08:18:28

@shahjrahman 

The Deco M5 supports router mode and AP mode both; if you want to use the SKY router as well, you can use the Deco M5 as the access point to boost the wifi signal. 

For the differences between router mode and AP mode, please refer to https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2399/ 

Besides, is there any specific network request? Or any features need be supported by Deco? 

Good day. 

Options
2019-12-16 11:46:02
Hi @Kevin_Z Thanks so much for the response extremely helpful. I guess the final question really is around compatibility with Sky routers, which I guess you're saying is fine. Again, apologies for my lack of knowledge, but is it better to have it in router mode or access point mode? Ultimately what I'm looking for is same/similar speeds across the entire home, nothing else matters.
Options
Re:Step by step guide for setting up Deco M5 with Sky Hub 3.0 [ER115]-Solution
2019-12-17 02:31:16 - last edited 2019-12-18 02:18:24

@shahjrahman 

Do you want to keep the Sky routers? If so, you can configure the Deco M5 as the access point to boost the wifi signal, and avoid double NAT issue. 

Or you can change the Sky router to bridge mode and setup Deco M5 as the main router, while as far as I know, sky may provide SKY MER with Dynamic IP connection type which is not supported by the Deco M5 yet, so you can configure the sky router as the original router but disable the wifi function and configure the Deco as the main router to enjoy the mesh network and advanced features. 

It is hard to say which operation mode is better; it is more related to the network request and the network environment. 

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-12-17 13:56:01

@Kevin_Z

Thanks a bunch, I'll follow this and make the purchase.

Options
2019-12-18 02:18:13

@shahjrahman 

You are welcome, glad to help you. 

And thanks a lot for your support. If need any further help, be free  to let us know. 

Best regards. 

Options
2020-05-11 07:37:11
I am agree
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 9913

Replies: 6

Related Articles