Using TD-W89870 with FTTC/ VDSL

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-06-15 22:31:43
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TD-W8970

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 0.6.0 2.1 v000c.0 Build 130415 Rel.34164n

ISP : Talk Talk

I am definitely not a techie and so please do not bombard me with lots of acronyms and deep technical points. I apologise if I get anything wrong in that respect! :confused:

I've had a TD-W8970 v1 since last year. I am very keen to get away from Talk Talk (I wonder why??????), who currently provide a poor ADSL service. As they apparently have me on a LLU connection (I never knew about that), it seems that I am stuck with having to pay a reconnection charge for most potential new ISPs, or those with any service reputation, anyway. So......I am thinking of paying a bit more and jumping straight to FTTC.

As far as I can gather, the TD-W8970 will connect to an Openreach fibre/VDSL modem, using its fourth LAN/WAN port. However, what's foxing me is that although this port is rated at 1Gbyte, the summary sections in the user manual for the TD-W8970 state that the maximum data rates are 24 Mbps down and 1Mbps up. I'm hoping that that's is the max for the ADSL modem in the modem/router. Can anyone please confirm whether my router will work with a FTTC service, without restricting the data rates?

Thanks.
Options
4 Reply
Re:Using TD-W89870 with FTTC/ VDSL
2013-06-24 17:43:52
Hi.
In theory, TD-W8970 can connect to an Openreach fibre/VDSL modem and work with a FTTC service without restricting the data rates.

In the user guide, although it states that " Downstream data rates up to 24Mbps, upstream data rates up to 1Mbps ", 24 Mbps down and 1Mbps up are about the ADSL line speed.

Since you want to connect TD-W8970 to an Openreach fibre/VDSL modem thru its fourth LAN/WAN ports, TD-W8970 will be running as a wireless router and it will send and receive signals through the ports rather than the ADSL line. The port speed is different from the ADSL line speed(24 Mbps down and 1Mbps up ).
Options
2013-07-15 18:18:13
Thanks moon for clarifying that. I have in fact now got the TD-W8970 working with the VDSL connection, after a lot of head-scratching and a call to the TP-Link helpline. It doesn't seem to be restricting the speed, although my internal wiring might be doing that, not to mention a dodgy copper wire connection from the cabinet.
Options
2014-09-09 01:42:33

JohnN wrote

Thanks moon for clarifying that. I have in fact now got the TD-W8970 working with the VDSL connection, after a lot of head-scratching and a call to the TP-Link helpline. It doesn't seem to be restricting the speed, although my internal wiring might be doing that, not to mention a dodgy copper wire connection from the cabinet.

I'd be interested in knowing which settings you changed on your 8970.

I moved from Sky to PlusNet FTTC today. The engineer turned up and installed the BTO Modem and connected the PlusNet TG Router - all was OK with an initial D/S of 37M and an U/S of 16M.

However...... when I installed my 8970 router, the speeds have dropped to 3.5 / 0.8.

I have configured my router to operate in Wireless Router Mode, instead of ADSL Modem Router Mode, the WAN interface is set as PPPoE and I have input my PlusNet ID and password. In case it makes any difference I have disabled IPv6 (didn't seem to make any difference at all).

Just to make sure, I reconnected the TG router - the speeds shot back up to 37/16

Any suggestions? I feel that I'm missing something somewhere - but I'm [expletive deleted] if I know what!
Options
2014-09-12 21:18:18

djf wrote

I
I have configured my router to operate in Wireless Router Mode, instead of ADSL Modem Router Mode, the WAN interface is set as PPPoE and I have input my PlusNet ID and password. In case it makes any difference I have disabled IPv6 (didn't seem to make any difference at all).
[...]
Any suggestions? I feel that I'm missing something somewhere - but I'm [expletive deleted] if I know what!

If you are trying to use the 8970 as a standard wireless router, then setting the WAN interface to PPPoE doesn't appear to make much sense.
If I understand you correctly, you've connected the BTO modem to the EWAN (4th Ethernet port) on the 8970, and want to use that as your WAN. Which all makes sense. So once you've told the 8970 to operate in wireless router mode, you'd need to select Dynamic IP or Static IP as the WAN type... not PPPoE. My guess would be that the BTO modem probably provides the IP settings (via its own DHCP server), and so it'd probably be 'Dynamic IP'.

There's a half-decent description of setting up the similar 8968 in wireless router mode here: http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=480
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1743

Replies: 4