Guest Network - Why?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Guest Network - Why?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Guest Network - Why?
Guest Network - Why?
2019-12-20 05:28:04 - last edited 2020-01-29 16:11:04
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.9.17

A TP-Link FAX states, 

A guest network allows visitors in your home to use the internet without needing to connect to your private network. Wireless devices connected to a guest network have no access to resources shared on the main network so that the security and privacy of the main network are guaranteed.

Because of that and other curiosities, I have three probably very basic questions:

(1)  What would be the problem with a guest connecting with my private network, and what is an example (or are examples) of "resources shared on [my] main network" a guest can "access" that I would need to be concerned about?  I mean, it'd really be only one or two "guests," and they're both long-term and trusted friends.  -- and

(2)  Posting here provides the option that I identify my "Hardware Version" and "Firmware Version" (I'd suppose to identify one's equipment to facilitate better help).  My iPhone app states "Version 1.9.17."  Is that the Hardware or Firmware version, and how or where would I find the OTHER version?

(3)  My main module of course receives an Ethernet input from my ISP's modem.  I then have the other Ethernet port going to an 8-port switcher.  Would my other two modules accept only an input and (facilitate) an output, or can I use both ports on my other two modules as outputs to, say, Roku TV's, Laptops, garage door gateways, Philips Hug bridges, et al.?  So does each module have a dedicated in and out port, or can both be used as outputs to connect devices via Ethernet?  And yes, I guess I could simply plug something in both ports and see but if I fry something, I'd only have myself to blame that I didn't ask for guidance here first... haha

Thanks all. - Mike

[Just saw after posting this:  I can actually buy a single module from Walmart for $85, but my question above still stands.]

Options
1 Reply
Re:Guest Network - Why?
2019-12-23 01:34:30

@DroMike 

Hello, the guest network and host network are separated from each other when Deco M4 works in router mode, that means the devices connect to the two networks cannot access other; for example, the device connect to the guest network cannot communicate with the device which connect to the host network, they cannot ping each other. Sometimes, we use the NAS as the local server, which is not allowed to be accesses without permission. While considering the local devices can access each other, then guest network is needed to satsify our needs. 

The hardware version and ifrmware version is related to the TP-Link device itself, not the OS version of your cellphone. 

You can connect the main Deco to the modem by wired cable to get internet, the spare LAN port can be used for the wired devices to access internet, so does the slave Deco. The two LAN ports can be plugged into wired clients to enjoy the internet. And you can connect a switch to the second LAN port of main Deco and then connect other devices to the switch to get internet. 

Wish I make myself clear. 

Good day. 

Options