Deco parental controls apply time restriction to wrong device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-20 22:37:52
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20190917 Rel 71168

I have three Deco P9 devices connected to my existing Sky modem/router box.

I have configured 4 profiles, 2 of which have bedtimes set up under parental controls. The other two profiles are for my wife and I and have no restrictions.

My problem is that my wife's laptop, which is set part of her profile, keeps cutting of at my son's bedtime. This laptop was initially set as part of my son's profile but it was moved to hers a week ago. The parental control does not seem have been removed despite the change of profile.

How do I resolve this? I do not want to turn off the parental controls as they are the biggest reason that I bought these devices. 

Options
13 Reply
Re:Deco parental controls apply time restriction to wrong device
2019-12-23 02:16:49

@BladderFox 

Hello, theoretically, the bedtime won't apply to the device which has been removed from this profile, we can do some troubleshooting to narrow down this issue and try to fix it. 

First, try to tap the pause button after your son's profile and verify whether your wife lost connection. You can refer to the step 7 of the instruction below to do that. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1598/ 

Second, please confirm the time control settings on your wife's profile; make sure that there is no limit; and you can delete this profile and re-add it. 

Third, you can delete your son's profile and re-create it; this time, add your son's device only and verify whether it work. 

May it help. 

Options
2019-12-30 22:07:50

@Kevin_Z  thanks for the suggestions. I will try them out and come back to you. 

Options
2019-12-30 22:32:30

@Kevin_Z I checked that the devices were connected to the correct accounts and that they still weren't working. 

I then deleted my wife's profile and rechecked but it made no difference. 

I then deleted my son's profile. When I rechecked my wife's laptop was working. This would indicate that despite what the Deco app was telling me my wife's laptop was still being treated as if it was part my son's profile. 

Do you know how I can raise a bug report for this?

Options
2019-12-31 02:35:12

@BladderFox 

Thanks for your valued reply. 

Please show us the screenshots of the whole parental control settings page, especially the time limits/bed time settings. 

Thanks in advance. 

Options
2020-01-04 14:52:51

@Kevin_Z 

I went to take the screenshots you asked for but the iOS app asked me to log in, then completely reset itself!

So I have now lost all the config set up I did and face having to reset all three Decos and set them up again. 

Can you suggest any way to resolve this or should I just return the whole set to Amazon and forget it?

Options
2020-01-21 22:05:38
I have a similar issue where my iPhone is being restricted but is assigned to me, as the owner of the system with no restrictions
Options
2020-01-22 02:33:58

@BladderFox 

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to respond late.

That is a little weird that it completely reset itself; while cause it is been reset already, have you ever tried to reconfigure it and set up the parental control feature to give it a shot? 

Do you have the same issue then? 

Good day. 

Options
2020-01-22 02:39:04

@Simatic 

Hello, how did you set up the parental control? Could you please show us the full screenshots of the whole settings?

Have you ever tried to delete the parental control profile for the specific device and re-create it? 

Besides, you can reboot the Deco units to give it a shot as well. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-01-22 14:26:06

@Kevin_Z I have reconfigured everything and the problem hasn't recurred. This doesn't full me with confidence though as I have no idea why it happened. 

Options
2020-01-22 15:28:26

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks Kevin.  I deleted the whole system and re-configured it all.  It was working then.  I'll check again tonight when the "bedtime mode " kicks in for other profiles.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3597

Replies: 13

Related Articles