Slow LAN speed (60mbit/s) despite TP-PLC showing >500mbit/s

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-22 16:03:01
Model: TL-WPA8630P KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 Build 20171018 Rel.36564

My TP-PLC software as well as my device's web interface always show that the powerlan link speed is well above 500mbit/s (most of the time even reaching 590mbit/s) - which would be perfectly fine for all of my use cases.

I have two rooms - Room 1, where my Router and the powerline adapter with 1 port and my NAS are located. And Room 2 where, my PC is. Everything is connected via LAN cables, of course.

The thing is, I never get speeds of over ~60mbit/s when I access the internet or my NAS on the other side of the adapter from Room 2. I already tested everything I could - when I plug in my device directly into the router in room 1, I get internet downstreams of about 220mbit/s. however, in Room 2, nothing ever shows a throughput of over 60mbit/s, even though my TP-PLC shows a "Powerline Rate" of well over 500mibt/s

Can you help me?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Slow LAN speed (60mbit/s) despite TP-PLC showing >500mbit/s
2019-12-23 18:57:07
I have similar experience with my PA9020P kit, AV2000 standard; I never get more than 120-130Mbps even when powerline link rate is 500Mbps and above, I have complained on this forum to TP Link, but no real answers it seems; very poor QA process inside TP link, to advertise and sell product that does not live up to the marketing claims. poor show TP Link !!!
Options
2019-12-24 12:05:42

@Bassadin 

Hello, the tpPLC speed is not the actual speed, instead, it is the powerline link rate between the 2 adapters; the actual speed we can get from the adapter is about 30%-40% of the pwoerline link rate. Combined with the interference, the actual speed even be slower. 

While cause the current speed is just 12% of it, we can do some troubleshooting on it. 

1. The speed you can get from the TL-WPA8630P by wired cable and wireless separately.

2. Please click here to verify the wired/wireless negotiation speed of the computer. 

Note:The steps for wired negotiation speed are the same, while you need right click on local area connection or ethernet connection. 

3. Try to move them into the same room to test the speed, or change another wall sockets to plug them.

4. Please ensure that the firmware is up to date; and you can enable lower PLC-to-VDSL interference Mode via the tpPLC utility to give it a go.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2027/

5. Below is a guidance you can refer to narrow down the issue. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2231/

Best regards. 

Options
2019-12-24 12:09:34

@manim 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused here.

Per I replied on your own post, the engineer is still working on it, no updates yet.

You can tryto enable lower PLC-to-VDSL interference Mode and disable power saving mode to give it a go at the same time. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-12-29 17:45:58
Has your engineer got answers now? . if really powerline link rate is not data transfer rate, please do not make incorrect marketing claims on your product and packaging - if it is only 30% of powerline link rate at 1300mbps link rate (in same room - which by the way is never the intended use of powerline!)then I would expect 1300mbps * 30% = 390mbps internet speed. But no -never there. There is a fundamental problem with the data transfer rates of this product - which I suspect is to do with the application of QoS related packet inspection / processing overhead or routing overhead being applied. IF so - PLEASE update your product specifications, avoid misleading customers state the real throughput achievable in the real world, not laboratory or factory clean room states. If only I can compare with your competitor claims from e.g..HomeGrid alliance - maybe it can be proved one way or other.
Options
2021-01-04 09:33:54

@manim 

I should have seen this post before I bought the TL-PA7017 KIT. TP-Link should put up a clear disclaimer on the packaging as it is not fair to claim 1 gigabit on the packaging and actual throughput is about 20% or less of the full internet speed from direct router. This is "CHEATING"

Options
2021-02-03 22:57:29

@Super_Pat Echoing that 100%! Upgraded from AV600 to AV1000 expecting to get at least 500mbit/s and instead seeing max 150 - 200mbit/s (20% of the commercialized speed). Shame.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4580

Replies: 6