Deco M5, expand with backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-29 09:22:17 - last edited 2021-07-06 02:17:40
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.2

Hi, 

I have a network in my house of 4x Deco M5 units. This works really well. 

I am building an extension to the house, and will add ethernet cables to the extension from the room with the main router. 

Am I right in thinking I can purchase Deco M4 units, placing one connected to the router/modem and another in the extension connected by the ethernet cable. If I do this, the M5 units will feed of these two wired M4s and I will have total coverage? 

Am I missing something?!?!?!?! 

Thanks! 

Chris 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5, expand with backhaul-Solution
2021-07-05 13:30:03 - last edited 2021-07-06 02:17:40

B72 wrote

@ChrisWUK 

Deco cannot connect as mesh via network cable, they will have different wifi SSID.

@B72 

This is not correct. Please see General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5, expand with backhaul
2019-12-30 03:23:40

@ChrisWUK 

Hello, Chris, for your information, you can add multiple Deco products together to build up the mesh network. 

You can add the Deco M4 into the existing Deco mesh network to boost the wifi signal. You do not have to connect one of the Deco M4 to the modem, instead, you can add them as the repeater and connect them to existing Deco M5 to make it work. 

While if you want to create a separate mesh network, you can connect one of the Deco M4 to the modem and configure it as the regular router. And then add the slave unit. 

May it help. 

Options
Re:Deco M5, expand with backhaul
2021-07-05 13:08:17

@ChrisWUK 

Deco cannot connect as mesh via network cable, they will have different wifi SSID.

if you want to add them to same mesh you can only add them to existing mesh without cable.

However I believe tp-Link has other router products that can build a wifi mesh with cable but they are not Deco.

Options
Re:Deco M5, expand with backhaul-Solution
2021-07-05 13:30:03 - last edited 2021-07-06 02:17:40

B72 wrote

@ChrisWUK 

@B72 

This is not correct. Please see General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1322

Replies: 3