Deco M4 Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M4 Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M4 Setup
Deco M4 Setup
2019-12-30 06:57:07
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Hi there

Hoping I can get some additional information as I know I'm doing something wrong. My house is a 2 storey with a basement. 

Old Setup: Modem/Router AIO (basement) --> Switch (basement) --> 3x Wall Jacks

My house is wired so I have a LAN jack in the living room, office and masters bedroom.

I have my PC hardwired to office outlet

I have my TV hardwired to living room outlet

Nothing is connected to Masters Bedroom

Since my modem/router is in the basement - you can just imagine how great my WIFI is on the 2nd floor. My internet speeds is advertised as 1Gbps Down and 750 Mbps Up. I know I'm not going to get that consistently.

Now I installed the M4 as such

New Setup: Modem/Router AIO (basement) --> Switch (basement) --> 3 Wall Jacks + 1x Deco Main (basement)

Now I wanted to install Deco2 in the wall jack in the living room (first floor) and Deco3 in the wall jack in the masters bedroom (second floor). 

I don't know if by hooking it up to a switch is messing it up but on WIFI - im getting slower speeds than what I was getting when I was relying on my AIO. I tried router mode OR AP mode. 

Any suggestions? Not really good with networking so I dont know if I should be doing anything with my router/modem settings etc. I've been testing the last 4 hours so im a bit tired. I will test again tomorrow.

Ideally - I just want my router/modem connected the switch. Then have the M4 units as APs in the 3 available lan jacks I have. But I can't seem to get it to work. I get a red blinking light or the app just says it cant find things.

Thanks in advance for the help

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M4 Setup
2019-12-31 06:37:56

@h_0ray 

Hello, what is the current network diagram? Like modem/router AIO(basement)--> Switch (basement) --> 3 Wall Jacks + 1x Deco Main (basement) --> 2nd Deco (living room) --> 3rd Deco ( master room) 

Are they all working properly? What is the led status of the Deco nodes? 

Do the three jacks connect to the switch or the modem directly? Theoretically, you can connect them as mentioned above and configure them as access point. Then the speed will be related to the switch and modem/router. 

1. What is the bandwidth you paid for your ISP?

2. What is the speed you can get from the modem/router and Deco units separately. 

3. With computer connected  to the Deco by wired cable, please test the actual speed and wired negotiation speed. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

Note: The steps are the same, while you need click on ethernet connection. 

4. Try to remove switch and connect the Deco to the modem directly to test the speed. 

May it help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1242

Replies: 1

Related Articles