finally got USB print controller to see printer.. but

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-06 16:40:58
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : TalkTalk

After many hours of trying.. I finally discovered that my Firewall was blocking the USB Print Controller from seeing my canon MP600 printer. It's only recognised with the Firewall off (not good but it's a start) So it is in the list of auto connected printers

Problem now is I can't see the printer in my Print Dialogue boxes.. just the installed Canon (but greyed out) that was on the Pc USB port.

How do you get the printer recognised so as to be able to print?

I tried getting the Add Printer to look for rinters and even had a go at a networked printer.. But I don't have enough knowledge to get past the present situation.

Any help appreciated

Grazuncle
Options
6 Reply
Re:finally got USB print controller to see printer.. but
2013-01-06 19:14:15
If you connect your computer to the printer directly, can you print?
you can also try another computer. or post some screenshot of the printer utility with the thread.
Options
2013-01-06 19:49:23
one more question, the IP address of your computer is in the IP range of the router?
Options
2013-01-06 21:06:48
Thanks for the reply will89

Yes the printer works by direct USB cable from the PC...

However I only just realised (from reading other threads) you need to run the Printer set up utility as well.. Doh!

Tried the one on the disk and the one on Downloads too, but I get a message that my OS is not supported.. I'm running Win 8 Pro 64bit.

Perhaps there is anther version on the TP Link site that works.. I just haven't found it.

Thanks again
Options
2013-01-08 03:12:49

Grazuncle wrote

Thanks for the reply will89

Yes the printer works by direct USB cable from the PC...

However I only just realised (from reading other threads) you need to run the Printer set up utility as well.. Doh!

Tried the one on the disk and the one on Downloads too, but I get a message that my OS is not supported.. I'm running Win 8 Pro 64bit.

Perhaps there is anther version on the TP Link site that works.. I just haven't found it.

Thanks again

Did You update the firmware ? Please note that TD-W8968_V1_USB Printer Controller Utility( For Windows) doesn't work with the earlier firmware 120802. Did you try to install the utility in compatibility mode (Win 7 or Win Vista) ? I experienced that even if I can't see the printer in my Print Dialogue boxes, the USB printer utility bypass the system and redirect the print.
About the firewall: do you mean Win firewall or the one in the router ?
Options
2013-01-08 04:57:36
Thanks for your interest in my post.

this is the firmware info

Firmware version:0.6.0 1.1 v0005.0 Build 121016 Rel.48690n
Hardware version:TD-W8968 v1 00000000

This 'seems ot be above the latest version on the website !

The USB Printer Controller run ok and i can see my printer on the list ok. I just don't see my Canon (on the approved list) in the list of available printers of my applications (Word) to print from. There is a Printer Setup utility on the site which I thought you needed to run but wont run under Win 8 (this is not the same program as the USB printer controller program which is running on my system.

Did your printer on the USB port of the router.. just work and appear on the Print menu of your applications then?

Thanks
Options
2013-01-08 20:29:51
I first installed the printer locally on the pc. Then I disconnected the printer from pc, installed USB printer controller and connected the printer to the router. Now I can see the printer in the menu of my application even if it results offline in the Windows Contol Panel --> Printers. When I send some document for printing, the usb printer utility takes contol and a pop-up window come up from sys tray .
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2777

Replies: 6