TP-Link TD-W9970 ADSL2+ drops wifi connections like insane

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link TD-W9970 ADSL2+ drops wifi connections like insane

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
24 Reply
Re:TP-Link TD-W9970 ADSL2+ drops wifi connections like insane
2020-07-30 11:58:13

@ec5780 

Hi, the Wi-Fi dropping issue not happens on all the wireless devices at the same time?

Sometimes, device 1, 2 have the issue and other devices work well, right?

Sometimes, device3, 4, 5 have the issue and other devices work well, right?

But all the wireless devices have suffered the issue, right? 

Secondly, your firmware version 170919 is not the latest one, can you try to upgrade the firmware version first to check if the same issue happen again?

Follow the instruction to do it. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2211/

Finally, have you tried the below suggestions to change the channel and width?

You can follow the instruction to change it to check. Changing mode has no use. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1217/

If the issue only happens on Wi-Fi connection, please download Wi-Fi analyzer on your phone to test the empty 2.4GHz channel around.

Then change the 2.4GHz channel to be the empty one you tested, the channel width to be 20MHz to check if the same issue happens again.

May I know when and where you bought the device? May I know your region?

When did the issue begin?

Look forward to your reply.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-07-31 00:57:38

@Sunshine Thanks for getting back to me

Sunshine wrote

@ec5780 

Hi, the Wi-Fi dropping issue not happens on all the wireless devices at the same time?

Sometimes, device 1, 2 have the issue and other devices work well, right?

Sometimes, device3, 4, 5 have the issue and other devices work well, right?

But all the wireless devices have suffered the issue, right?

Yes - this is correct. Once the WiFi drops out on a particular device, that device would not be able to reconnect until the router is restarted.

Sunshine wrote

Secondly, your firmware version 170919 is not the latest one, can you try to upgrade the firmware version first to check if the same issue happen again?

Follow the instruction to do it. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2211/

I have just upgraded the firmware and I'll let you know if that helps over the next few days. From now on I'll be using this firmware:

Firmware Version:0.9.1 0.3 v0076.0 Build 200228 RC.41086n

Hardware Version:TD-W9970 v2 00000000

(Initially I didn't upgrade the firmware because the notes on the download page only mention something to do with a CWMP vulnerability - which seems unrelated to the WiFi problem - and no other changes. However having installed it, I do get the impression that the CWMP vulnerability is not the only change in this firmware.)

Finally, have you tried the below suggestions to change the channel and width?

You can follow the instruction to change it to check. Changing mode has no use. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1217/

If the issue only happens on Wi-Fi connection, please download Wi-Fi analyzer on your phone to test the empty 2.4GHz channel around.

Then change the 2.4GHz channel to be the empty one you tested, the channel width to be 20MHz to check if the same issue happens again.

I had already looked into the channels. There are other networks on all the channels but the current channels is the clearest. (The other router that I'm trying gives a very good WiFi connection despite all the neighbouring WiFis).

However, I have not tried restricting the channel width to 20Mhz, if the issue persists after upgrading the firmware I'll try that next.

May I know when and where you bought the device? May I know your region?

When did the issue begin?

The device was supplied by my ISP, Direct Save Telecom about 12 months ago. I am in the UK.

The issue began in the last approximately 3 weeks.

Thanks again for following up with this, I'll let you know how it goes with the new firmware, and if the problem persists, with the 20Mhz channel width.

Options
2020-07-31 06:51:06

@ec5780 

Hi, thanks for your reply and the sharing result.

Yes, 200228 is the latest firmware version for the product TD-W9970 V2. We can keep a close attach with each other.

When the issue appears again after upgrading the latest firmware version, please provide the information what I want and tell us in detail.

Please also note if the scene is totally same as before you upgraded the firmware version.

Please also have a check the frequency of the issue.

Good day!

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-07-31 06:58:00

@Thehaunted 

Hi, sorry to hear that you have the same issue, we will try our best to identify the issue and solve it.

Please help confirm the below information for us to identify the issue.

1. Does the issue only happen on Wi-Fi connection? Does the wired(cable) connection work fine? 

How about the lights' status on the router? Is DSL line connected to the router?

2. May I know who is your internet service provider? How many total bandwidth from the ISP including download and upload?

If your total bandwidth from ISP is very low, it will influence the performance of the router. It is suggested to upgrade the total bandwidth from ISP.

3. Please check the firmware version and hardware version of the router. If it is not the latest one, please upgrade it first.

4. Please check how many devices are connected to the router and if they all have the same issue? Please tell us the model number, system of them.

5. Please check how to recover the connection when the issue happens. By restarting or automatically?

Wish you have a good day!

Options
Related Articles