RE205 dropping connection to router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-08 13:25:08
Model: RE205  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 190929

I've set up my RE205 as a wifi network extender for my Netgear R7000 router.  I have used the same SSID for all wireless networks, eg both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on both the R7000 and RE205.  Devices do connect to the RE205, but lose internet connectivity.

Is using the same SSID for all 4 wifi networks a supported/recommended configuration?

Regards, 

Dan

Options
7 Reply
Re:RE205 dropping connection to router
2020-01-09 06:16:55

@DLB 

Hello Dan, please give me the below details so that we can do more troubleshooting.

a. What's the light status of the RE205 and main router when the extender stops working?

b. Try to give it a different network name for the extender or the main router so that we can verify the root cause.

c. Please connect your computer to the RE205 directly by wired cable when the connections drop out. And please click here to check the IP address, default gateway and DNS server as the below instruction.
Note: Please show me the screenshot of the status-details page.

d. At that time, you can unplug the RE205, and connect your smart phone to the main router by wireless to verify whether it works well.

e. Please ensure that the firmware is up to date. 

Thanks in advance, and have a good day.

Options
2020-01-15 02:26:02

Kevin_Z wrote

@DLB 

Hello Dan, please give me the below details so that we can do more troubleshooting.

a. What's the light status of the RE205 and main router when the extender stops working?

b. Try to give it a different network name for the extender or the main router so that we can verify the root cause.

c. Please connect your computer to the RE205 directly by wired cable when the connections drop out. And please click here to check the IP address, default gateway and DNS server as the below instruction.

d. At that time, you can unplug the RE205, and connect your smart phone to the main router by wireless to verify whether it works well.

@Kevin_Z 

a.  All 4 lights are on

b.  Did this last (after steps c, d, & e).  If I set both SSID's on the TP Link to a name different than my main router, my devices (phone & computer) connected successfully.

c.  IP address:  10.88.55.101

Default gateway:  10.88.55.18

DNS Server:  10.88.55.18  (but grayed out on the DNS tab)

d.  After unplugging the RE205, all my devices were able to reconnect to the main router.

e.  Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20190929 Rel. 78177(8583)

Hardware version:  RE205 v2.0

Regards,

Dan

Options
2020-01-15 02:50:14

@DLB 

Actually quick correction.  Even after changing the SSID of the RE205 2.4 & 5GHz networks, my phone has now dropped the connection.  I saw the error "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET", so for step (b), the extender still is not working.  I'm going to try changing the DNS on my router to use OpenDNS servers, instead of getting them from my ISP.

Regards,

Dan

Options
2020-01-20 22:34:19

@Kevin_Z any further suggestions on resolving this issue?

Regards,
Dan

Options
2020-05-28 00:05:52

DLB wrote

I've set up my RE205 as a wifi network extender for my Netgear R7000 router.  I have used the same SSID for all wireless networks, eg both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on both the R7000 and RE205.  Devices do connect to the RE205, but lose internet connectivity.

Is using the same SSID for all 4 wifi networks a supported/recommended configuration?

Regards, 

Dan

@DLB 

Options
2020-05-28 00:06:36

Kevin_Z wrote

@DLB 

@Kevin_Z 

Options
2020-10-03 21:16:41
Por favor Cómo configurar el Range Extender?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2458

Replies: 7