Deco M5 broadcasts SSID twice

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-08 20:12:39 - last edited 2020-01-08 23:12:41
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.2

I have installed my Deco M5's (pack of 3) and once you know how to get round issues with the existing in my case Virgin superhub then it all works great. There's one more issue that my macbooks don't necessarly like, every time you open the lid it needs to find a wifi network as per usual but the Deco's broadcast the 2.4 and 5 Ghz under the same name (ie appear twice in the wifi list) which can result in selecting the incorrect network on the older Mac as it doesnt do ac wifi. Is there a way for the Deco to just broadcast one SSID and decide internally to connect it to ac wifi, n wifi, 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz? 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M5 broadcasts SSID twice
2020-01-09 03:18:46

@BvdH 

Hello, what is the current issue with the virgin super hub? 

For the wireless SSID, theoretically, it will broadcast one network only; and we tested at our lab and there is only one SSID appears. You can show us a screenshot of the wifi networks on your MAC. 

Besides, what is the OS version of the MAC? 

Good day. 

Options
2020-01-09 09:20:41

@Kevin_Z 

The initial set up didn't work so I had the super hub 3 in router mode as well as the deco with the same network ID. Managed to get the super hub in modem mode and all was good. However I noticed that the V6 box couldn't connect to the Deco and never did actually. Together with a Virgin engineer we worked out for that this box requires to be connected to Hub 3.0 in router mode but we created a separate network for it. My macs show the deco SSID twice, one is 2.4 ghz n wireless, the other ac 5 ghz. Press option then the WiFi symbol, both networks with the same SSID. This causes a bit of confusion within my household. I can't see any setting within Deco that could cause this.

Options
2020-01-12 17:56:37

@BvdH 

Screenshot, it shows consistly two SSID's. One is 5 Ghz and one is 2.4.

File:
Screenshot 2020-01-12 at 17.38.14.pngDownload
Options
2020-01-15 07:37:51

@BvdH 

Hello, thanks for your valued reply.

From the picture attached, it is hard to verify them; with wifi disconnected, could you please show us a full screenshot of the available wireless networks list? 

Besides, what about other devices? Can they detect two networks with the same SSID? 

Meanwhile, does the super hub works in regular router mode? What about the Deco? Is it router mode or AP mode? 

Good day. 

Options
2020-01-23 14:04:08

@Kevin_Z 

yes both phone and macs detect 2 networks. Virgin in router mode but separate SSID, Deco in router mode.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1487

Replies: 5

Related Articles