Poor Internet Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Poor Internet Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Poor Internet Speed
Poor Internet Speed
2020-01-09 10:57:09
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Deco M4_V2_190917

I bought the Deco M4 (3-pack) to try and sort out the poor wi-fi coverage in our house, due to the concrete construction I was using the modem/router downstairs for the wi-fi and a ethernet wired access point upstairs. So the problem I have after connectiong all the Deco's up is my internet speed has fallen drastically. Before installed the Deco's I checked my wi-fi speeds, standing next to the FRITZ!Box 7490 modem/router I got 104Mbps down and 52Mbps up on my mobile, I got similar results on my PC which has a wired connection. So I first disconnected the access point and set my FRITZ!Box to bridge mode and turned off the wi-fi, I was then able sucessfully install all 3 Deco's but my wi-fi and PC internet speed was now 20Mbps down and 50Mbps up, rebooting the modem and Deco units made no difference so next I changed my router back and the Deco's to access point mode, I had similar speed results again  on my mobile and PC, spent quite a bit of time reading FAQ's and looking for answers but have to admit I cannot work this out, any help or insight would be most welcome. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Poor Internet Speed
2020-01-10 01:54:57

@ChrisLux 

Hello, we will do some troubleshooting first to locate this issue and try to fix it.

1. What is the current network diagram? Is it like Fritz box(router mode) --Deco M4 (AP mode)? How do you connect the Deco M4 to each other? 

2. Who is your ISP and what is the bandwidth you paid? 

3. With main Deco connected to the fritz box only, please connect your computer to the main Deco by wired cable to test the speed you can get and click here  to check the wired negotiation speed. 

Note: The steps are the same, while you need click ethernet connection. 

4. Besides, you can swap the location of the Deco units to do a comparison analysis. 

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-01-18 10:14:49

@ChrisLux 

My equipment: TP-Link TL-SG1024D 24-Port, Patch Panel, Fritz!box 7479, Deco M4 (3-pack)
1. Fritz!box(router mode)> Deco M4 (AP mode), 2. POST Luxembourg, 100 Mbps - 50 Mbps, 3. 1.0 Gbps

I thought I would update my progress, I have managed to get all 3 Deco's working at the correct download and upload speeds, I know how I did it but am unsure of the why:) Well I would like to understand why it worked this way and not how I had originally wired it. So my first setup which gave my problems was I setup the 1st Deco (AP Mode) next to my Fritzbox (router mode, wifi turned off) and connected it to the router Lan 3, the 2nd Deco on the same floor was able to connect via Wi-fi and the 3rd Deco was to be situated upstairs which the wi-fi signal cannot get to so I made a wi-fi connection downstairs first and then moved it upstairs, I plugged a ethernet cable from the first Deco socket 2 into my  patch panel, this then conected to the 3rd Deco placed upstairs and now my DL speed on all Deco's and wired PC went down from 103Mbps to around 20Mbps. I thought the direct connection from the first Deco via the patch panel to the 3rd Deco would work, it didn't so I then plugged the 1st Deco into the Gigabit Switch and then connected the patch lead to the panel and this worked giving me the full 100Mbps. I'm sure there must be an explanation for this I would be gratefull if someone to let me know.

Options
2020-01-19 09:57:16

@ChrisLux 

Hello, thanks for your valued reply.

The panel is used to manage the cables, it won't transfer data packets, unlike switch which can boost the network. 

After you locate the gigabit switch into the existing network, the Deco units connect to each other via wired cable, which has better performance and faster speed than wireless speed. 

You can compare the wired/wireless negotiation speed you can get from the third Deco with/without switch/patch panel.

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1478

Replies: 3

Related Articles